UV Filter vs. Skylight Filter

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Tayfun YAMAN Tayfun YAMAN Post 1 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Hi everyone;

I plan to buy a UV filter for my Tamron 28-75 lens. I want it expecially to protect my lens but also it is said that it protects our eyes from UV rays and gives more contrast to the photos taken. Does skylight filter stand for the same purpose? What is the difference of skylight except its pink like color than UV filter?
Best
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 2 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Hi,

my personal opinion: Used on DSLR, UV- or Skylightfilter are a proctection of the lense only.
Skylightfilter should give warmer tones, in fact you can correct this via the white balance...
UV filter should block UV light - cameras have a ir/uv-block-filter in front of the sensor, hence they are not really necessary.

cheers, Olli
Tayfun YAMAN Tayfun YAMAN Post 3 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Oliver;
Thanks for your detailed answers which helps me a lot. I will choose an UV filter which will be used only to protect my lens.
Thanks again
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 4 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Such models should be submitted to severe physical punishment 8-))))

I always go from the idea, why pay much money for good glass, and then put some cheap glass in front of it ??
Tayfun YAMAN Tayfun YAMAN Post 5 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Ruud you are right I also don't want to place cheap glass in front of my lens and reduce the quality but as Andy mentioned I have some little models who are really throwing everything to me and my lenses. May be I should use filters made of steel? Do you know any? :))
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the