A new Photo Challenge:
Long Exposure Photography
Take part in a difficult (or not so) part of photography: “bulb mode” as a means of photographic design is challenging photographers. Tripod, flashlight, filters, patience, all are needed to get satisfying results. It will bring your camera to the limits and maybe yourself. Let us take part in your experience.
Here are five essential tips for successful bulb mode photos:
- choose a sturdy platform to avoid vibrations (tripod, remote or cabled shutter release, solid ground)
- keep the ISO adjustments as low as possible to avoid noisy images
- look for a suitable object to get an eye-catching effect (waterfall, highway, lighted ferry wheel, etc.)
- bring patience to control the whole process
- get dressed respectively for the situation
Show us your best long exposure photos!
Structure and stages of the Photo Challenge:
Upload & Voting Phase from 20. September 2017 to 20. October 2017
Extended Voting Only Phase until 30. October 2017
Announcement of the Results: 31. October 2017
How to participate:
- All registered photographers of fotocommunity are eligible to participate. (Register now)
- Each account may participate in the Photo Challenge with 3 different pictures.
- The photos can only be voted by our premium members. (Become a premium member now)
- Please no copyright notice in the photo and in the title!
- Photos that do not fit into the competition will be removed.
- The photos are anonymous during the upload and voting phase.
- Failure to comply to the rules will result in administrative removal of the photo.
Interested? Upload your photo here !
The first three winning photos will be placed in the Gallery.
Analog Photography – its still an issue
Photographic film is not out of date. Some photographers still use film in addition to their digital equipment. And the number is increasing. And yes, for we are a community of photographers, we have members still using their analog equipment. And one of them suggested to create a section to meet the needs. So we did.
Here it is: analog photography
Looking for reasons to use an old analog camera? Here are some and you may add your personal point of view to it:
- full format
- film has its own character
- natural High Dynamic Range
- artisan tradition
- permanent storage
- the smell of the chemicals
- no dead batteries while on tour
- different to the mainstream
We are excited about viewing your treasures of analog photography. Feel free to upload your once analog handcrafted work.
Improved communication – all about your photos!
Now you are able to directly respond to comments under your photo. This allows you to separate different discussions of a single picture.
To help you to keep the overview of all your photo discussions, we also optimized the notification display. You will receive the following notifications by “bell” and by mail:
- reply to your comment
- more answers to a current discussion
- appreciation of a comment
You can customize your email preferences to receive additional notifications.
Clicking on the notification or the link in the email will directly show you the new added comment or the answer. This eliminates the annoying search for the latest comment and you can focus on the discussion.
Appreciation of comments
From now on you also have the opportunity to appreciate individual comments or answers. In this way you can agree to a good and / or helpful comment or express gratitude. It helps you to acknowledge individual annotations without having to enter the discussion.
Along with the current optimization of fotocommunity we now present the multiple allocation of sections. With this improvement we are following the desire of many fotocommunity members to be able to assign photos more flexibly.
In the last few weeks we transferred the data of our approximately 20 million photos into a new database structure. We have adapted many lines of fotocommunity code, optimized the upload, the editing page and the fotocommunity search.
Photos are complex. They allow various interpretative approaches and corresponding thematic assignments. We hope to meet your expectations now: premium members can assign up to three sections at a time.
upload with allocation of three sections
infobox below the published photo
- diverse assignment of your photos in up to 3 thematically suitable areas
- more attention for your photo
For members with a free account one section for the upload is still available.
Explore fotocommunity in a new way!
This page gives you a quick, clear and relevant overview of different photographers and themes and thus a better access to the variety of photos in our fotocommunity. Its also an interesting tool to discover new uploads after a time of absence.
This new page is located in the menu “Photos“:
Latest trends: here you will find a selection of frequently used keywords.
New photos: the latest uploads from fotocommunity
Upcoming photos: aspiring photos, which are currently the focus of the attention.
Much discussed: in this special list we show you some photos, which are currently widely commented.
Photos of new members: only photos of new users of fotocommunity.
Photos with few comments: only photos with few comments, waiting for your comments.
New photos international: this list shows only photos uploaded in the other 4 language versions.