Canon Lenses

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
BRYAN CRUTE BRYAN CRUTE Post 1 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
70-200mm 2.8L IS usm against 100-400mmm4.5-5.6L IS usm
I have the 17-85mm IS usm, i wish to continue with landscapes but also try some wildlife.
Any help from users of these please help . its a mine field out there.
I use a Canon 30D

Post Edited (20:24h)
MWPhoto MWPhoto   Post 2 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Bryan
I have the 70-200 2.8 IS USM lens and it is very good. I have only two complaints:
It is heavy! (just an observation, really, not a complaint)
The image stabilizing motor, when it first starts up, induces a little vibration that will shake a lightweight tripod. I get better results with the IS feature off when using a tripod. The IS feature works well on hand-held shots. (On tripod shots I have even begun holding the shutter half-way for a few seconds after the auto-focus motor stops to let that minor vibration "settle" before releasing the shutter.)

Maybe I should just get a heavier tripod! LOL :)

Can't comment on the 100-400. BUT, I will tell you that I bought the Canon 2X teleconverter for this lens (the 70-200). That creates a 400mm f 5.6 (max) lens that is pretty good - retains the autofocus and IS features and has decent image quality in spite of the extra glass. I'm not sure that I could do better with a 4.5 aperture lens for wildlife. Seems like you would want an even faster lens for "serious" wildlife shots (I can't afford "serious" wildlife photography!)

I guess my point is that I'm not convinced that the 100-400 is worth the extra expense? 400mm tests the limits of my skill at this point.

Post Edited (21:12h)
BRYAN CRUTE BRYAN CRUTE Post 3 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks for the advice and experiences you have.
The 70-200mm is the one im going for, but f2.8L or the F4L is the next Question. if i get the f4L i still have some money let for other goodies.
Thanks again
Bryan
Deleted user Deleted user Post 4 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
I use the 70-300mm IS USM. Because mine is the 5D the 300mm is just 300mm. That would be about the same as your 200mm on a 30D (yours acts like a 320mm in fact).

At f4 I know it could be better but being an amateur it does me fine relative to lower light. I am often going for DOF so I try and operate in the higher f's anyway.

The manual Canon shipped with my 70-300mm actually recommends to turn the IS off when used on a tripod (and I quote from page E-9 - Tips on Using the IS "When you use a tripod, the IS should be turned off...").

What I will be in the market for next is a higher power zoom lens like 400mm or more. While I surely like Canon's L's I have thought about Sigma's as well but I am not ready yet and will do more research before I commit (lots of options including the extension tubes and lots of cash at stake as we all know).
BRYAN CRUTE BRYAN CRUTE Post 5 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks for imput, just ordered the 70-200mm f4LIS USM,the 2.8L would have gobbled up all my budget.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the