Anyone want to take pics of Zentai in London, UK?

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 16 of 39
0 x Thank You
link

Post Edited (16:38h)
Peter I. Peter I. Post 17 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Ruud van der Lubben wrote:

Quote:Not just luck 8-))) experience and the ability to foresee how
situations will develop are equally important !! 8-))

Cann´t agree more with this: luck won´t damage, but a expiried photographer is rather a guarantee for great pictures.

Peter
Robert van der Sanden Robert van der Sanden Post 18 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Blue Blue Robert van der Sa… 04.06.05 5

Just curious (I'm not familiar with this whole zentai movement). Can the folks in the picture be called "zentai"? Or is zentai a more specific form with lycra suits?

These people were blue all the way down to their shoes, including the items like bags they were carrying and sunglasses.
Peter I. Peter I. Post 19 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Dennis Veldman wrote:

Quote:...
To be honest, its kind of strange, men in lycra covered body
suits.. on the streets.. not to entertain people, just to walk
on the streets..

Which informations makes You to conclude, that the people crossing the way of Mortice and me weren´t entertained? Surely not the pics he published, I guess, You didn´t look for them.
Quote:
What i have seen... the pics of these people arent really
impressive...

Unfortunately I cann´t give a comment, because I don´t know, "what You´ve seen".

I cann´t imagine, that the pictures You published at the community are taken by the models (as I do usually, working by tripod and selftimer). I cann´t imagine, that You asked the models for instructions about their cameras coming in usage and about the picture You´re going to take. If You´re judging my pictures, so that´s the conditions You´re talking about.

Peter
Mortice Mortice Post 20 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Dennis Veldman wrote:

Quote:What are the purposes of these shoots??

Are they for "kicks" or is there really a whole plan behind
it?
To be honest, its kind of strange, men in lycra covered body
suits.. on the streets.. not to entertain people, just to walk
on the streets..

Hehe yes I can understand your caution... strange isn't it... but isn't that just a good reason to do it?

I guess I'm an exhibitionist, in the sense of liking to turn heads.

I like to think that we are there to entertain people, it's just that we don't have any particular 'performance', we're just 'there'.

There's no more profound reason for it.

Quote:What i have seen... the pics of these people arent really
impressive...

Yea, well there are some nice ones but most are quite standard shot pics.

Surely this is a good opportunity for you budding photographers to catch a really interesting snap? Not the sort of subject you get to take a pic of every day.
Peter I. Peter I. Post 21 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Robert van der Sanden wrote:
Quote:
Just curious (I'm not familiar with this whole zentai
movement). Can the folks in the picture be called "zentai"? Or
is zentai a more specific form with lycra suits?

The term "Zentai" is originated in japanese language and means the suits, which are covering the wearer complete.
We know about the usage of suits for theatre presentations happened in Japan at the 14th century.
Nowadays these suits are made mostly from Lycra(R), a brand of Invista and also used for dance presentations and for the "blue screen technology" in video-production.
Quote:
These people were blue all the way down to their shoes,
including the items like bags they were carrying and
sunglasses.

Well, the art presented at this picture seems to be bodypainting.

Peter
Peter I. Peter I. Post 22 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Ruud van der Lubben wrote:
Quote:
Quote:Personally when shooting such event i would concentrate on the
bystanders reactions, think thats probably the most fun !

8-))

Mortice wrote:
Quote:
Yes exactly - I think the best pics involve a surprise reaction
from a member of the public as well as keeping the zentai in
shot -

Well, we germans have the law named "Gesetz betreffend das Urheberrecht an Werken der bildenden Künste und der Photographie" (means "law concerning the authory rights about achievements of fine arts and photography"). It prohibits the publication of pictures showing people without their agreement. Just now You can find a report in the german forums, where a photographer was brought to trial by the parents of a young girl.

That´s why a lot of pictures taken here aren´t "impressive". Almost members of public cann´t usually be here the main part of a picture, as You proposed.

Peter
When When Post 23 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Are you entertainers or do you do this to - as we call it in the SCA - "Freaking out the mundanes?" Just wonder if it's a performance art thing like a Christo work to say - wrapping yourself - or if the purpose is personal public exhibitionist gratification with anonymity. Kind of strikes me as the plushie fetish community thing. Trying to figure out the drive behind it.

Rob - The blue people were probably performers. My mime troupe used to get paid to be frozen live models for shop windows and public exhibitions. You learn to put yourself into a trance and lower your breathing rate to appear as a statue.
Peter I. Peter I. Post 24 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
When wrote:

Quote:Are you entertainers or do you do this to - as we call it in
the SCA - "Freaking out the mundanes?" Just wonder if it's a
performance art thing like a Christo work to say - wrapping
yourself - or if the purpose is personal public exhibitionist
gratification with anonymity.

Well, surely every model is in any kind an exhibitionist, otherwise she / he wouldn´t do this "job". Additional the people around are speaking a lot about themselfes by their reacts, which they donn´t get controlled as usually here in Germany. Of course not everybody is "freaking out", but also a not everybody is interested even in the greatest ballet presentation (for example). And we´re closer to our audience, than the artists, who´re performing at stage and blindfolded by the spotlamps.
Quote:
Kind of strikes me as the plushie fetish community thing.
Trying to figure out the drive behind it.

It´s a very great difference between liking these suits, as others likes to wear jeans for example, and getting sexual excitited by the fabric, which is the reason for the fetishers to wear it. Fetishers usually don´t leave their bedrooms wearing their suits and are making sure, that nobody knows about it.
Quote:
Rob - The blue people were probably performers. My mime troupe
used to get paid to be frozen live models for shop windows and
public exhibitions.

Well, we aren´t moveless statues, and we aren´t paid for the performances in public. It´s our fun to get some people around funny.

Peter
Robert Riley Robert Riley Post 25 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Actors making a living by posings as statues has been around for ages. I will be around in London when you are there, and look forward to seeing you all. A good place to be would be Covent Garden.
When When Post 26 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks Peter. Not quite sure I still understand the motive. I wasn't referring to the type of fetish group you were. Plushies/Furries dress in anonymous costumes, and they do go out in public, some take on jobs as characters in amusement parks to satisfy their need. Not all are sexually motivated. I understand it may have a sense of fun involved but I can see why you would have problems with security as one of you stated previously in a thread. In today's heightened anxiety over security I would think it might distress people more than entertain due to the anonymity of the costumes. I can understand why you are stopped, you are walking around with your face masked taking pictures. Do you go to the authorities ahead of time and explain your project and ask for clearance? Do you just appear and walk around in public or do you hold a captive audience?

What I'm trying to figure out is what is the motivation for what you are doing? Are you raising awareness for something? Are you just doing this to have people take pictures of you? Since you have a .org site is this a registered charity? the suffix is generally reserved for not for profit organizations. Do you ask for or solicit money?

I just know that in many places there are laws that govern buskering/street performing/panhandling/soliciting/loitering/vagrancy. Most of it is for the public good and safety. If you are doing this solely for personal enjoyment do you follow the written and cultural rules of street performers so that you don't cause problems for those who do make a living in public? Making a scene, drawing attention, holding up the flow of traffic can cause issues. Asking photographers to come out for such a thing could case problems for them as well.

I'm from Detroit and a masked person walking around would be held in suspicion no matter how benign. I've been robbed and held at gun point by people who were in masks. I've been a legitimate Shakespearian/Children's theater performer and mime working amongst the public. Also worked for the Salvation Army as a street fundraiser manager. Just have some experience with a lot of cultures.
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 27 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
Am i happy i live in the Netherlands where we generally will not allow any security/police to interfere in such matters such as expressing one's opinions and artistic needs in the street.

I think When, you're making too much of an issue here about something which seems quite harmless to me, and is basically just a form of street amusement.

I would gladly come out and record such event, and if any security/police would try to interfere he would probably find himself in my viewfinder as well 8-))) !!!
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 28 of 39
0 x Thank You
link

Post Edited (16:38h)
Mortice Mortice Post 29 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
When wrote:

Quote:Are you entertainers or do you do this to - as we call it in
the SCA - "Freaking out the mundanes?" Just wonder if it's a
performance art thing like a Christo work to say - wrapping
yourself - or if the purpose is personal public exhibitionist
gratification with anonymity. Kind of strikes me as the plushie
fetish community thing. Trying to figure out the drive behind
it.

Yea I guess the 'freaking out' thing is about it. I do have some aspirations that if the group gets large enough, we could organise things more akin to Christo art... but no-where near that yet.

Hmm... well it must be said that there is a degree of overlap with the furry fetish thing, but TheZentaiProject is specifically not a fetish thing, no sexual type images on site, it's just trying to bring the 'strangeness' of zentai to the streets.
Peter I. Peter I. Post 30 of 39
0 x Thank You
link
@ when:

I´m understanding Your situation. At first You were attaced by a masked felon, so You aren´t amuzed to see anybody masked.

The second point is, that You´re living in the States, where are laws against performers as us. But please think about, that nobody has to be arrested in the UK or in Germany based on Michigan law.

Concerning the security stuff I met in London: they stopped me, because I was using a tripod. In the moment Mortice took the camera and the tripod was packed, these guys losed interest and walked away.

Peter

Post Edited (0:57h)
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the