Prepare your photos for upload!!! #1 (General)

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Vladimir Danilov Vladimir Danilov Post 1 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
I'm a novice here at Fotocommunity and came from a Russian, very large community for photographers with an excellent structure and participators.
I've noticed here at FC, that almost all (90%) of works are uploaded without even simplest preparation. It's so pity to see that a rarely talented work looks terrible after upload: a small size, quality killed by wrong (or automatic) optimization, blank borders not removed after scanning, no frame where needed etc.
But it's all in our hands!!! Let's ask and learn, let's share own experiences!!!

I would like to start with a very important thing - the right preparation of an image for upload.

Let's read what's written in the FC HELP section:

"You can avoid the fotocommunitys automated optimising by converting the file on your own. You need to create the following format:

* JPG-Format
* Filesize maximum 130KB
* Width maximum 900 Pixel
* Height maximum 700 Pixel

You only suppress the automatic optimising if you don’t exceed one of the values above and have your file in a JPG-Format (JPEG)."

It means that if you made a photo 950*720 with 420 kb, or 800*600 with 150 kb and just upload it to FC, you will get a spoiled result of all your efforts: the image will be not more than 500 pix of height, and the file size only 40-80 kb. Just right-click on one of your photos and choose in the context menu "image properties", there you can see the image and file size.
An automatically or wrong optimized picture looks smoother than the original one. The most details are lost, for example, a grass can become just a flat piece of something green, hairs on the head can look like jelly.
Below two samples of one and the same image showing you how important for the quality is the file size.

Picture with 47,8 kb
47,8 kb 47,8 kb Vladimir Danilov 16.12.04 1

Picture with 128,2 kb (almost the FC limit)
128,2 kb 128,2 kb Vladimir Danilov 16.12.04 5

The difference in the quality is amazing, isn't it?

Well... How to reach these 130 kb? There are (on my oppinion) two ways:

1. By using Photoshop's "Save for web" option (FILE-EXPORT-Save for web). In the appeared setting window click on the small circle with a triangle near the drop-down menu "Preset" under "Save-Cancel-Done" and choose "Optimize to file size". There you should type 130 and press O.K.
I don't like this way of optimization, becouse there are ...

2. Special programms of JPEG-optimizing that are available for download from Internet:
- xat.com Professional Image Optimizer from http://www.xat.com
- JPEG Imager 2.2 from http://www.jpegimager.com
Both are well and do their work much und much better than Photoshop.
My favorite is Xat.com. The main pro feature of this programm is the smart optimizing process when monotone areas on the image (like sky, clouds, skin) are compressed at maximum, and areas with many details (leaves on trees, hairs) - at minimum. all the settings can be changed. I love the special tool - "brush" when you can set its diameter, compression strength and just paint everything you want to compress with this strength.

So, below are my steps of how I prepare an image for upload:

1. Open and edit the image in any photo editor (I use Photoshop CS. For those who cannot or don't want to buy it - there is a PERFECT and ABSOLUTELY FREE editor, that have almost all the tools from Photoshop and can work with layers(!) - GIMP from http://www.gimp.com)

2. Resize the image to 800*600 (or nearely. I would not advise to exceed this size, becouse it's best to view in all web browsers)

3. ONLY AFTER resizing the image should be sharpened. I do it in Photoshop (FILTER-SHARPEN-UNSHARP MASK). Set "Amount" not less and not more than 50-120 (play with it and you will agree, that other parameters are useless). "Radius" is always by me not more than 1-1,3 and "Tresholds" is always 0.

4. Make a frame for the image (I described "how to" in the forum earlier in the topic "To frame photos".

5. Optimize the picture to 130 kb.

Good luck!!!

Post Edited (13:52h)
Elaine Liebenbaum Elaine Liebenbaum Post 2 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
THank you very much for your input.
You have given a very comprehensive report to all users here.
I only hope others will read it.

I think that people shooting with a point and shoot camera dont realize how important these steps are for their finished product.

I will definately check out the programs you advised us on.

elaine

by the way do you use the xat jpeg optimizer??
or image optimizer??

Post Edited (13:28h)
Vanessa Torres Vanessa Torres Post 3 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
Hi! Vladimir.

this is a very good class for how can I do for improve my work with my photos.. :) thanks so much.. be shure I will have this words so near the scanner .. .lol.. Thank you for giving us your time. I will print them and read and read and I will do all the steps.. wish me good look!

Vanessa
Vladimir Danilov Vladimir Danilov Post 4 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
Elaine Grossman wrote:

Quote:by the way do you use the xat jpeg optimizer??
or image optimizer??

I use Xat. com Professional Image optimizer.
Vladimir Danilov Vladimir Danilov Post 5 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
Vanessa Torres wrote:

Thank you for giving us
Quote:your time. I will print them and read and read and I will do
all the steps.. wish me good look!

Vanessa

Surely I wish you good luck. You are great experienced in the Analog Photography. It's only the matter of time that you learn some simple technics in the Digital World.
Deborah Hangartner Deborah Hangartner Post 6 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
Thank you for laying this out in steps for us..."Optimizing for Dummies". Heehee!

I have been trying to get this concept for a while now, and everyone I have asked is about ready to smack me!

I get it now...and I will try it. Thanks again, Vladimir!

-deb-
Vladimir Danilov Vladimir Danilov Post 7 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
No, no, not dummies, in no way. Let's say just not so experienced to present their works in Internet. To be frankly, first days at FC I did these mistakes with right uploads, too.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
Davenport Jones Davenport Jones Post 8 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
THANK YOU, that was very helpful. I am a beginner so this just gave me a some needed info.
Zvi Shperling Zvi Shperling Post 9 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
Thank you to everybody.It was usefull to me.
Zvi
Israel
When When Post 10 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
Very helpful - after almost 300 pictures. Wish I would have known earlier Vladimir. Thanks.
Liroy Nine Liroy Nine Post 11 of 11
0 x Thank You
link
10 Q
Regards!
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the