Upgrading from Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Brad Waldera Brad Waldera Post 1 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
About five months from now I plan to upgrade to a DSLR from my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. I've seen a lot of people on this site reccomend the Nikon D70, or D70s. I've seen others reccomend the Canon 300 or 350d. I've also just read a nice piece in PHOTOgraphic magazine, about the new Pentax *ist DS. I'm looking at spending around $1000.00 in American money, and would really like to make the right choice here. This is a lot of money for me, and I would hate to make a bad decision. Also, should I sell my Panasonic, or keep it as a backup camera? I don't have any income from my photography, and planned on selling it, but I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks in advance, for any advice.

Brad Waldera.
Anastasiya Ivanova Anastasiya Ivanova Post 2 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
I recommend you just sell the old camera, afterall there will be your old one seldom used after the replacement of any new and better camera being purchased in.
How much you gain from selling the old camera does help you with less spending of cash at hand as well.

About camera...you have to consider a thing too that any SLR always needs some good lenses for use or for better use... and they are not cheap at all of course. :))

Canon 350D (There is a title for the use in Japan "Rebel XT" actually they are the same kind)is a good choice; I feel nothing different between D70 and D70s (just the size of LCD...); If you want to buy a cheaper one, D50 is not bad.

Pentax? don't know its details....it's the smallest SLR among all.

If things want to get crazy Nikon D2X or EOS 1Ds Mark II they I highly recommend...they are very remarkable professional SLR. If a cheaper one Canon 20D or Nikon D2H. :))

Post Edited (5:28h)
Brad Waldera Brad Waldera Post 3 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
After extensive research, I'm leaning toward the Nikon D50. For my purposes, it should work great. I'll look at some others in the next few months, before making my final decision. Thanks Anastasya.

Brad
Anastasiya Ivanova Anastasiya Ivanova Post 4 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
D50 is a pretty good option.
Wish you will find an ideal one which you likes most. :)
Brad Waldera Brad Waldera Post 5 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
I had a couple more thoughts about buying a DSLR.

First off, will I really notice the increase in quality of my pictures compared to the DMC-FZ20? I know I'll be able to take pictures sooner, because of the quick start-up time, and also the amount of time waiting between shots will be minimal. I'm just curious to know if the actual results will be noticably increased.

secondly, What is the difference in the 12x Optical zoom lens my DMC-FZ20 has, and the 18-55 kit lens that comes with the D50 Nikon? Would the Nikon actually have less range?

And lastly, I've gotten used to taking pictures by looking through the LCD. Is it true that on 99% of all SLR cameras, you look through the viewfinder? Can you do either, if you want?

If anyone knows the answers to any of these questions, I'd be glad to listen. Thanks.

Brad Waldera.
Anastasiya Ivanova Anastasiya Ivanova Post 6 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
First of all sorry for my poor English if there has anything which you might not able to understand what I am writing about...:)

About the quality, I believe it will. However it greatly depends not only on the camera itself, but on what kind of lens you use for the camera. The lens does somehow probably more important than the camera, and high-quality lens of course with a considerable price if you want to buy one... this is very important to know.

Besides, it also depends much on how familiar you do with the use of SLR, if you are experienced in using traditional SLR I believe there won't be a problem getting skilled in any digital one. Once you are very able to use all functions of the DSLR you have, it surely helps you greatly in getting masterful and high-quality shots.

In sum, there are three factors, and about their importance concerning getting high-quality pictures:

1. Camera: (20 percent)
2. Lens: (30 percent)
3. User's skill and experience in the use of camera: (50 percent and there is no up-limit in judging one's photgraphing skill...)

PS: If you are very very skillful in taking pictures and view-finding, of course this can be over 100 percent in totality, and that is..., masterpieces...ones belong to the gallery section. :)

Well this is just my opinion, many other photographers might have their experience and thereon their ideas too about how much importance actually do these three factors have.
-----------------
I suggest you should do more investigation on camera lenses too. :)
Brad Waldera Brad Waldera Post 7 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks for replying, Anastasya. I know I can buy a Nikon D50 body by itself, and get a lens separately, so I'll need to do more research into which one would work the best. My Lumix has a 12x Optical Zoom lens, and I'd like to have that much, if not more zoom power, with my next lens.

Should I stay with Nikon lenses if I buy the Nikon D50, or is there another company who makes better lenses that would fit on that camera? It seems like they are not all able to work on different cameras.

This camera is going to cost me about three weeks pay, so I really plan on getting all the information I can before purchasing one. The last camera I bought was the DMC-FZ20, and I spent hours on the internet reading reviews and looking at specifications and so forth. I do not think I could have got a better camera for $500.00 than that Lumix, and right now I feel that for $1000.00 the Nikon D50 is the best one out there.

I am not planning on making this purchase for a few more months, so I'll have plenty of time to do more research. Thanks for all the advice.

Brad Waldera.
Anastasiya Ivanova Anastasiya Ivanova Post 8 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Yes, exactly, have a sepcific and detailed research and estimation before taking action...afterall it will cost you a lot of money.
There has three or more famous brands about lenses directly fitted to the cameras of Nikon series:
Nikon (Nikkor)
Sigma
Tamron
Leika
...etc, I suggest the first three brands mentioned above.
Please take notice that lenses of other camera brands such as Canon, Pentax...etc are NOT available for Nikon cameras.
Please do some research on the interfaces (the junctions...) of lenses and cameras as well. :)
Good luck!
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the