Constructive criticism

<12>
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Carmen Gallagher Carmen Gallagher Post 1 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Hi, I have been a member for awhile now and have had a few comments concerning my images which is appreciated but I have found that fotocommunity members seem to lack criticism. Everyone makes pleasant and friendly remarks about other peoples work. I think this can be misleading creating the impression that images are good when you can clearly see that some images are just plain awful.

As peers shouldn't we be giving constructive criticism and advice to help improve a persons photographic skills?

I am disappionted, as I expected criticism not praise from members. To know that my work is improving it should first be critcised in order for improvement.

Please let me know if anyone else feels the same way as I do or am I alone soul on this one!

Carmen
Rob Wells Rob Wells Post 2 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I started off a similar thread a few weeks ago. I agree with your remarks for what its worth. I'm also here to try to find those things that I do wrong or could improve upon.

I post my fair share of 'nice pic' comments, but only where I find the picture pleasing to the eye and where I think its worth ackowledging. But I also try to point out things I think are 'wrong'. I can only suggest that you carry on doing the same. Eventually you'll stumble across those people who will give good critique, but they do seem to be few and far between.
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 3 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Carmen,
The problem with nowadays photography is the fact that more and more people take up this trade without even having the slightest experience in arts or photography. Basically there's ofcourse nothing wrong with that but the result is that there's a lot of people around who very simply lack the knowledge to give more comments then the simple "nice Pic" "great colours" etc.
I must say that unfortunately i see loads of pictures coming by where i just simply would not even know what to say as such pictures do not have any "content",
I generally only comment pictures from which i feel that the maker has actively thought about its making.
Fyi this is a problem you will not only find in Fc, almost every other photo site suffers from it.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 4 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Carmen, You are very right. Getting feedback is not easy, getting a quick "cool" is.
The other guys have made good points on the matter too. There are 1000's of images being posted and it's often hard to keep an eye on who is regularly posting, or who is just pasting a few pics in here simply because they opened a free account and can..
You have added a good few pics, and are clearly interested in real feedback, both good and bad. You'll certainly be getting some now :)
I like to approach this in a balanced way too, I also make use of the Quick Message system on this site to offer live comments and back-up to any comments I make. That way it never seems just a slap in the face either. The QM system is a good means of defending your work too, or offering reason for your choice of techniques and/or why you decided that the image was finalised and ready to be put forward.

So.. You've made a good point, you're here for the right reasons. Keep at it and hopefully you will reap the rewards.

Regards, Rob.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 5 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Carmen - thanks for raising the point I am troubled with on here most as well. I would love to be honest with comments on here but find some of my constructive comments are not well received ..... not by the uploader as you may expect ... but by other members ... ??? I highlight an obvious fault and someone always jumps in to say that the thing I didnt like they actually love !!!! .. the best thing about this site is receiving honest constructive critique and assistance ... well said Carmen ... regards, Paul.
Elaine Liebenbaum Elaine Liebenbaum Post 6 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I think it's also important to ask the person criticising for help. I dont appreciate when someone says something about a photo they dont like without being able to make a constructive point. That's why I do try to give someone a helping hand so they will know that Im not just "missknowitall" but someone who may have some experience.
That makes giving critic a fruitful experience and a way to make friends.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 7 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
yes - agreed Elaine - I always add how I think it could be improved ... no point in just saying its no good ... regards, Paul.
John Holmes John Holmes Post 8 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
carmen, i feel the same. it appears that this is a "friendly" site where "hard" critiques are usually not the comment. if one of my photos does not receive comments after a bunch of clicks, then to me, the shot is not interesting enough to discuss. maybe technically OK, but just not content worthy. sometimes i feel that i do not have the expertise to be confident that my critique is a valuable one.
some trusted and more experienced PHOTOGRAPHER/ ARTISTS will provide what you are looking for. when their comments are received, they are valuable and should be paid attention to. you will know these people by the work that they post; both photos and comments on other photographers.
keep shooting and working the images. make comments and read others. good luck. jh
Robert Browning Robert Browning Post 9 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Carmen,
That was a great criticism, and equally felt by me. Strokes are always nice, but don't often help you learn or progress. My best teachers are always the ones willing to point out my strengths and weaknesses.

Bob B.
Steve Mcleod Steve Mcleod Post 10 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Hi, all. I've not been here very long. I have seen this problem on other sites, hence looking for another photo site. i.e. here!!
Whilst I have been looking around the site, I can see there are some people willing to give advise or criticism, even had some on my uploaded photos.
For me personally I find it hard to give hard criticism or advise as I'm not a trained photographer, just a novice still after all these years (film 20 years ago and digital for two years). But if I do see something I think I can advise on, I will and do.
Good thread.
Steve : Scotland
P.S. Will probally become a member after the 14 days. GREAT SITE
Ralf Prien Ralf Prien Post 11 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I think it is a general problem for sites like fc. Ruud has pointed out one cause (many people not really interested in photography). Certainly Rob's point about 1000's of pictures being posted is valid as well (130 photos in the last 24 h in the fc.com). But to limit yourself you can use your buddy list. If you like someones photos or you experienced that they are interested in 'real' comments then just put them on the buddy list. After logging in one of the first things I do is clicking the Buddies button and see what's new from the people I met in the fc.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that you can learn a lot from looking at pictures. What do I like, what do I dislike and why might that be?
I also like to flick through the pictures in the gallery as they are the 'mainstream taste' of the community. And then there are a lot of pearls to discover amongst the pictures in the different channels (but it can be hard work since there hasn't been any pre-selection as in the gallery (selected by majority) or the buddy list (selected by you) and the voting centre (selected by somebody).

BTW: A thread like this is hard to find on the german fc site. Maybe as the community is growing larger the ability to criticise (and accept criticism) is fading?
Carmen Gallagher Carmen Gallagher Post 12 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks to everyone for responding to my comments. As it seems that you all agree I am now expecting you all to criticise my images just as Rob has done. You can say what ever you wish, I won't be offended....honest!!!
Stu Good Stu Good Post 13 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Carmen,

I was involved in the thread that Rob (W) raised a couple of weeks ago. As a beginner I too need feedback to improve and felt I wasn't getting enough.
Ruud advised us to use the Buddy system to encourage feedback and I have to say the feedback I have received since then has improved a great deal. Not only that but my confidence to offer advice to others has also improved due to the advice I have received myself.
Jeff Dowdy Jeff Dowdy Post 14 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I think alot of trouble is that many people it seems don't know how to give or take constructive criticism. Which is a huge delima for mentoring newcomers to the art. I enjoy photography though I have not had any formal education on it. I think that learning is half the challenge. I for one would welcome any tasteful comment good or bad. As was mentioned earlier, anyone now can pick up a camera and shoot. The natural outcome is the visual equivalent of bad shower vocalist wailing out spine chilling tunes. You can either run the other way or at least let them know why that are terrible.
Sharen Walls Sharen Walls Post 15 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
It is difficult to get honest and worth while criticism. I encourage anyone that looks at my work, to give me the criticism that is needed. (Tasteful please)
I am new to this site, and already i see what you guys/gals are talking about. I look forward to posting and reviewing your comments. Thanks for any help that you may send my way.
Sharen
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the