lenses for canon

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
George Cayce George Cayce Post 1 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
I'm thinking about buying a L lens for my 20D.
I guess the 70/200 f4 is a good glass, and I don't need a f2.8 at all...
I wander if the 85mm 1.8 USM (no L) can be sharp as the L zooms..
Fixed focal I know might be better.. suggestions?
Tony (Anthony) Rowell Tony (Anthony) Rowell Post 2 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Yes Gio,i use the canon 10d and i use these lenses and they are superb.
canon 17-40mm f4 L-usm also a canon 300mm f4 IS L-USM prime lens and i use the 1.4 extender which make the lens a 670 with 1.4 extender plus the 1.6 digital camera crop facter,the L lens are sharper by far than the none L lens.
you can find out about the lenses in this site i am giving you.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews
you check it out.
Ascanio Colonna di Paliano Ascanio Colonna di Paliano Post 3 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Well, I only have a 70-200 f/4 L USM lens at the moment: I'm saving money to buy a 17-40 f/4 L USM one too.

I have a 20D and must admit that having only f/4 can limit your potential, along with the incapability of pushing the camera to high-iso settings without getting that awful banding everyone is talking about.

In sunshine and cloudy weather, but with the sun high, it's a perfect kit. The sharpness is just about what the camera can get, and the C/A is barely visible when lens is wide open (70mm), and only in limited areas.

Lens flare is a problem of the past, though in sunlight you better use your lens hood (though really ugly....).

The build is adequate (you better take the lens to be services as soon as you buy it: assembly is one of the places Canon has cut costs on).

Plus the size and weight are DRAMMATICCALLY lower that those of the f/2.8 version.

I got this lens as the first, thinking it would do for a while: I must admit I was wrong...I lost a bunch of potentially stunning shots, because I chose the wrong lens. This lens is perfect if you have others to pair it with, but definetly not alone.

Cheers,
Asc.
Tony (Anthony) Rowell Tony (Anthony) Rowell Post 4 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Well Ascanio,there is a new canon 28-70mm 2.8 L-USM lens out now and although i think the 17-40mm L lens is superb,i think this new lens would be better for my needs as the focal lengths i like better,i dont use 17 focal length too much,but as you have those lovely buildings in italia it would ideal!i wish this new lens would follow up from 40mm to 100mm then i would beable to go up from 17 to 300,you just cant win!
Ascanio Colonna di Paliano Ascanio Colonna di Paliano Post 5 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Well I will have to see about that new lens, but just keep in mind that 1.6x factor with non-natural digital cameras...the 17-40 becomes about a 28-64...so it's not that wide..

Cheers, have phun!

Ascanio.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the