Evaluation- what's a perfect photograph?

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
xxx xxx Post 16 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
thats very difficult to say elaine.

i think it depends a lot on the genre of the photograph. in the german galery of this community there are perfect photos for nearly every genre i guess. although ime missing modern photography and abstract art... but ull find examples there for sure...

for beauty-portraitphotography i think one of my pictures is (nearly) perfect:

[fc-foto:1822022]

best regards

h
Kathleen Saw Kathleen Saw Post 17 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
im new here......... hello!!!
Stuart Briggs Stuart Briggs Post 18 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
Post Edited (17:02h)
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 19 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
Elaine, What have you started here ??????
To me the perfect photo is the one i can hang on the wall look at every day for a year and then still feel happy about!
A photograph is like life itself, never completely developed.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 20 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
Perfection is an ugly word.
I agree with Tony AKa fototaker. it is what's personal to each of us about a picture what makes it reach our fantasies. Sometimes I’m astonished of ordinary people's snapshots of a Sunday bbq taken with a disposable camera at the same level as i'm thrilled to see a Helmut Newton picture of a fine pair of legs with high heels next to a Doberman on the sidewalk of Romania, taken with a 4x5 inch large film and 2 studio flash heads. Others might find both repulsive. but hey, this is my personal opinion regarding perfectionism.

But what's interesting about this debate is that only nature is allowed to be regarded as perfect. have you ever saw an untouched natural scene on location and thought;
""how ugly, i hate that view""
Deleted user Deleted user Post 21 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Elaine - there is no such thing as a perfect photograph but there are a list of elements (none of which singularily are essential) that contribute to what may approach what most people may agree as being a good photograph ... its like trying to apply a mathematical equation to an emotional occurrence ... impossible ... but the elements are a good basis ... here are a few i can recall from memory of reading up on this as a child then forgetting it ....

1) Pattern
2) Colour
3) Texture
4) Composition (one thirds rule, does the picture lead the eye to a conclusion)
5) Contrast
6) ec etc ... blah blah blah ...

The one thirds rule of composition is a good one, moving objects travelling from the closest edge toward an open area in the shot is another .. objects never ending right at the edge of the shot (ie a ships mast just ending out of shot or perilously close to the edge). Centrally placed objects are generally bad unless the pattern of the picture depends on it ...

Obviously none of the rules are essential and a good photograph can have almost none of the above but you will find that if a photograph has NONE of the essential elements it will generally be a bad photograph. That is what i was taught and i stand to be told i am completely wrong. What you should do is remember some of the elements above and look at a few photos and look for one or more of the elements ... if you can't find any of them then ask yourself "is the picture any good?".
Martin Unger Martin Unger Post 22 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
As someone said before: perfect is relative, and dependends on many different factors. And there are many different ways to be perfect, like technically perfect etc.
I would give this defination: A perfect picture is doing something with us, it causes us to react.
As an example: not long ago I saw a picture here in the fc and my first reaction was: "nice, maybe a little bit overexposed, not really my style." But then something happened: I just had to go back to this picture again and again and after a while I understood how cunning it was! The photographer had touched my soul while communicating with me in this picture.
Elaine Liebenbaum Elaine Liebenbaum Post 23 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
thanks to paul
here is a fantastic website that is really helpful in taking a great photograph.
Basically what I was looking for!

http://www.focalfix.com/articles/beginn ... tion.shtml

see you you find it helpful.
Nicola Fernandes Nicola Fernandes Post 24 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
Its really down to personal perference.
Nicholas Collins Nicholas Collins Post 25 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
a perfect picture is one that captures the essence of the moment.. true as this may sound... I will have to agree with those that have mentioned that ones judgement of a perfect picture depends on the moods and emotions.
Jordan Shepler Jordan Shepler Post 26 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
A perfect photograph?
Well that's for the photographer to decide... many of my shots are awfull interms of lighting, angle, et cetera, but they have such great sentamental value that I love them.
Tony AKa fototaker Tony AKa fototaker   Post 27 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
actually, it's NOT for the photographer to decide... it's for the VIEWER to decide. there are many times when i create a portrait for someone, and they ask me, which is the best or that you like??

i withhold my opinion because many times i've discovered, THEY like what i dont like, and they hate what i like!!!

does this happen to anyone else???
Detlef Klahm Detlef Klahm Post 28 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
Yes...I do a lot of model portfolios and weddings...and rarely ever has the client chosen any of my favourite prints from the shoot...( has anyone ever said to you they don`t I like a song you upsolutely love...now you seem to love it a bit less!!) well I think this also goes for photography. don`t say anything or tell them You like all their ( client) choices.
Charles Fowler Charles Fowler Post 29 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
If you like it and it "grabs" you...you got your perfect photo. But, if he or she observes the same photo and cannot find that perfection that you see into it, that spirit... well, they do not have their perfect photo.
You will find some of the great photos that has been published and recieved many praises are not your perfect photos also... subjectivity.
Virgil Mlesnita Virgil Mlesnita Post 30 of 37
0 x Thank You
link
Came across this topic and had a look at what has been said. I feel like smiling but cannot resist in having a go!

A Perfect Photograph
I picture someone wearing a fine dark suit with a shiny silk cloak walking around in a huge museum, holding a magic wand. From time to time He would stop and touch a picture with the want solemnly uttering: You are the Perfect One!
Ok, ok, joking apart, I am not sure one can use perfect in singular. We can only have perfect photoS.
Perfect photos are of course like ghosts: one can chase them around with different 'weapons' like composition, framing, rule of thirds, etc but never get really hold of them.
In a perfect world where everyone would work with the same camera - you choose - photos will still reflect our subjectivity and our vision about a perfect world.
This doesn't mean that critique becomes impossible, of course.
One is able to judge about a certain AMOUNT of perfection by judging if there's a good balance between vision and technical realisation.
Wish you a perfect day!
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the