The best camera?

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
J e n n i f e r E. J e n n i f e r E. Post 1 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a digital reflex camera, but I don t know which one is the best.

I have the choice between the sony, canon EOS 400d and nikon D40x (or nikon D40).

So I would like to know which one I should buy. I m not a professional but I will start an art school in september.

Thank you for your advice!

Jennifer
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 2 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
"The best camera?"

You will never get a valid answer for this question!

"What's the best camera for me" - here you have better chances ;-)

Both, the Canon and the Nikon, are very good cameras of the "starter class", good tools to make good photos, work on comparable quality and a good choice. With both cams you step into a system with compatible lenses and spares - once you have choosen a brand you will stay at this brand (or spend a lot of money for new lenses...).

Nikon D40x and D40 have different sensors, the "without X" provides "only" 6MP, usually more than enough. You have to decide if you want to spend money for more pixel.
Both models have a negative point: The chassis have no AF-motor, not all Nikon lenses are compatible.

If you look at the 400D you could check the "old" (=more economic) 350D, too: "Only" 8MP sensor and no Anti-Dust function. The rest is nearly equal.

My personal advise: Because of the missing AF-motor and the reduced compatibility to lenses I would prefer the Canon.
BUT before buying I would go to a shop and test both cams "live" - the subjective feeling is emportant, too!

cheers, Olli
J e n n i f e r E. J e n n i f e r E. Post 3 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Thank you very much for your answer! I will go to a shop and try both of them! ^^ And choose which one I prefer!

Jennifer
Mark Johnston Mark Johnston Post 4 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Remember not to be sold so easily on more megapixels! They are not as important as many may try to advertise them as. You can take and enlarge shots from an 8mp camera plenty.
I think for many beginners they find that Nikon's menus are easier to navigate and use. The only issue I've had with nikon is the poor quality in low light situations. But with recent steps taken by Nikon they seem to be beating that problem now and may be releasing something better in the near future.
I think my advice would be to be patient and see what the near future brings.
As Oliver said, getting hands on is the best way to figure it out for yourself.
Maria Mylona Maria Mylona Post 5 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
I have an EOS 400D and before that i had a Nikon compact camera.
I believe that both companies make good cameras and for me as a newbie with slr's i can say that 400D is easy to work with!

Well of course there is also something i read somewhere that cameras with 3 digits are for entry level photographers, 2 digit cameras are for experienced photographers and 1 digit cameras are for pros. Try and see what suits you best.

Oh and for me something that was important was the weight of the camera. It is not very heavy! Because if you put a big macro lens that will add up to the weight of it and some times without a tripod it can make your life a bit difficult and your pics a bit shaky!

Well good luck with your choice!
Maria
Mark Johnston Mark Johnston Post 6 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
I hope three digit cameras are not for entry level otherwise I need to upgrade my D200! ;)
Maria Mylona Maria Mylona Post 7 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Well that's not my opinion. I just rewrote what i read in a magazine that makes reviews for cameras :)
Istvan Korcsmarek Istvan Korcsmarek Post 8 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
I using Nikon D200 and D70 beside an analog F100. If your choice will be a Nikon, my opinion is a D80. The D40(x) does not have built in focus motor, so you not gonna have AF with D-type lenses. Some of the D-type lenses have same quality and resolution, but they are 2-3 times cheaper than the newest AF-S glasses.
Quantxx Quantxx Post 9 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Nikon FM3a
Leica M7
Around 20 Mp
or Hasselblad 501
Around 40 Mp
;-)
Steve Hull Steve Hull Post 10 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Some useful advice here. Thanks for posing the question Jennifer, you beat me to it! I too have been looking at getting either the EOS 400d, D40x or D80. Did you make a decision in the end?

I would appreciate hearing what your opinions were of the cameras you looked at.

Thanks,

-Steve
J e n n i f e r E. J e n n i f e r E. Post 11 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Thank you everyone for answering. ^^

I finally chose a Nikon D40. At school, I can use a Canon, which is very good too, but I prefer the nikon.

It makes very nice pictures, and I think that for beginning, it is enough for me. I am far to be a professionnal. For the moment, I am very happy with it!
Daniel Grinspun Daniel Grinspun Post 12 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
what do you think about Canon XSI (450)
Hampus Mattsson Hampus Mattsson Post 13 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Take a few hours to check tghe entire camera system, lenses, flashes, high end cameras etc. Either you'll get tired of photographing and you won't upgrade. If not, you'll want a high end camera eventually. So don't just look at the entry levels.

I don't really agree that the nikons would have poor low light capabilities. The D50 was one of the best in it's class when it came. A recent test from one of the british magazines gave the 400D a - for image quality. Ofcaurse, the differencies are vaery small. As for the rest of the cameras, the 5D was at the high end of high ISO quality for a long time, and the way it still keeps up is very impressive, considering the age of the model. The D300 is an excellent camera when it comes to high ISO/low noise. As for now, the D3 and D700 are at the very top of the line.

My point would be to look further than just the entry level cameras, as you eventually will want an upgrade. And last... I personally think that the D40 was a step back from the D50. The D50 feels a bit sturdier and has a built in AF engine. If you consider Nikon, I'd recommend you to get a used D50 and save a lot of $ which you will finde a LOT more useful spent on good lenses and maybe an SB-800.

/Hampus
Ken Alvin Jenssen Ken Alvin Jenssen Post 14 of 14
0 x Thank You
link
Like to add a advice to ask what brand your friends or family are using, it greate to borrow a lense for a project or ask for advice/help from sombody near you that uses same brand.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the