Panoramic Tripod Heads

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Mark Johnston Mark Johnston Post 1 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
I'm obsessed with getting wonderful panoramic shots of the amazing landscapes in my home state and am honestly considering thousands of dollars in a great panoramic camera. For now I think I will settle for the cheaper alternative and put my digital camera to use. I started looking at panoramic tripod heads after a friend at school recomended one to me, the KingPANO, found at http://www.kingpano.com/pricing/pricing.htm
It seems like a great idea and would do nicely at a decent price of 150 bucks (and would be better for backpacking trips than a medium format camera)but does anyone know of anything better out there, (or are selling one for cheaper!)? I looked at Kiwi panoramic products but they are a lot more professional with the pro price also. If I can get by with the KingPANO and photoshop then I should be happy until that lottery ticket hits and I can pick up that Linhof!
Also, please let me know thoughts on different panoramic cameras, even the cheaper ones, if you feel they give great results.
Thanks,
Mark.
Martin Unger Martin Unger Post 2 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
There was a test of pano-heads in "digital photography" some months ago. After that I actually ordered the KingPANO, as a good compromise between price and quality. It takes some months until you get it, and unfortunately I didn't have much time to work with it since.
My first impression is that it is quite useable, as long as your camera is not too heavy (D200 with Tamron 28-75/2,8 works) and bulky. Mind that you only can take pictures in portraitformat.
Here's the one test I did some months ago:

[fc-foto:6665339]

Stitching worked fine, please don't mind the postprocessing otherwise (I know that I ruined the picture)...
My conclusion on this:
Definitely a good entrance to panorama photography, good price, good weight, though not as steady as the more expensive ones. Upgrade necessary when using heavier cameras and lenses.
Sorry, I have no experience about other panoramic cameras...
Good luck with your investigations!

Regards, Martin
Mark Johnston Mark Johnston Post 3 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks Martin. That was definitely one thing I was concerned about, weight. I also use a D200 and will most likely be shooting with a Sigma 10-20mm, (nice and small), or my Nikon 17-55 which is much heavier. I have a friend at school who might let me test his one out. Price is also a concern otherwise I surely would have gone with some of those fancy ones on the Kiwi website. I'll keep shopping around though and please, anyone else drop some notes if you have the know how.

Mark
Mike Harvey Mike Harvey Post 4 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
i use the d70 i do pano as well
i use the grid on function
manfrotto tripod and spritlevel round one i just place it on the hotshoe pan through to make sure all is level
and then shoot no real need for pano mount
use pano factory or ptgui software
ps not really good
Valerij Valerij Post 5 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
Mark. Don’t be obsessed with multidollar worth cameras and fancy panoheads. I use 10 MP Nikon D200 and I get 50-300 MP panoramas shot handheld!!! Outdoors you’ll get with ANY tripod head. Special panohead is a must for quality panoramas indoors or when there are close subjects in your panoramas. What you didn’t mention is what panostitching soft you going to use. I strongly recommend Autopano Pro (yes, I know, some people say PTGui is the best – I have it, I don’t use it).

And - in the daytime I shoot handheld, in the nighttime – simple Manfrotto head. I have good results. And forget fancy panoramic cameras. You can put your dollars to better use buying high quality lens,
Deleted user Deleted user Post 6 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
I used to have a kingpano for the D70 and it's kit lens.
To be honest I thought that was the maximum weight it could use well. It's not bad for the money, that's for sure.
Once I started to use the D2X the kingpano was simply too small, so we now have a Manfrotto system. Even that is stretched to it's limits of stability with the D2X and 17-55 hanging on there. However, we have used it with the Hassleblad and digital back with some good results. Despite the file sizes being rather huge.

handheld is fine for landscapes, but interiors are just not going to be up to scratch, were the nodal and parallax is going to be vital.

We do a lot of 360° Sphericals too, so a panohead is pretty essential for that. Especially when we're taking up to 32 shots for one 360° image.

It all depends how serious you are about it, the kingpano is an idal starter, as is the panosaurus and nodalninja.
Both lightweight and quick to set up.

Software, I use PTgui and Realviz, both have strengths and weaknesses.

If you're dead serious, you will want to look at the products from 'roundshot' hold that wallet tight though ! :)

Rob.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the