mac or not

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Ryan Manthey Ryan Manthey Post 1 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
i am looking a buying a laptop and cant decide. its either the mac book or maybe the toshiba satellite? any other recomendations would be great
Deleted user Deleted user Post 2 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Ryan, I have no experience of the Mac but they have, in the past, always been the choice of people who work in graphics for a living. Having said that, the industry has slowly been converting to PC bit by bit - not sure if this conversion has continued or was just be a blip in the figures. I know that software available to me has been 99% PC based so that was my choice ... the other issue is that Mac are now using intel processors in some machines I think - I stand to be corrected here on all my points as this is certainly not my field of expertise - actually scrub that, I don't have a field of expertise at all :0)
Patrick B. Parenteau Patrick B. Parenteau Post 3 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
I have used Macs since 1986 and currently own the G5 (without the Intel) and the G4 Ibook. You don't have the same amount of software available as with the PC - but you will find more than you ever need - and it will all be bug and virus free.

Mac owners are just nicer, more creative people! (I see PC owners around the world sharpening their knives). Actually, so much of the new software is cross platform (I'm waiting to see how the new Intel chip works out before commiting) that communicating and sharing info between systems is very easy.

My Macs have all lasted for 6 years or more and have travelled the world under the harshest conditions with no problems.

Judge for yoruself.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 4 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Yes Patrick - the Mac systems seem so well made, beautiful and powerful. My only reservation was the software situation and if that is not an issue as much as before I may be tempted. Are they something you can just plug any old device into, such as ipods, giga view pro's, digi cameras, Digital Video cameras, card readers, scanners, printers, spyder calibration tools etc etc .. I claim to know nothing about the technical side of Mac vs PC but I long to possess one of the beautiful machines if they are completely compatible. Regards, Paul.
Patrick B. Parenteau Patrick B. Parenteau Post 5 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
The beauty of the Mac is that they are - plug n play. All come with multiple firewire (400 & 800) and USB2 ports. The new intel chips in the G5 let you run PC & Mac programs intuitavely. All the major Macromedia, Adobe, Microsoft software are available for the Mac in its latest configuration. In regards to the IPod, Apple invented the IPod so it is definately compatible. Almost all periferals are cross platform these days. The only drawback is that they cost more... but damn..when you go Mac - you never go back!
Deleted user Deleted user Post 6 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Duuuhhhhh ... what am I talking about ?? asking if ipods are compatible with Apple computers .. put that down to the time of my post Patrick please ;0)
Ryan Manthey Ryan Manthey Post 7 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
well i just got my 17" macbook pro,,,,, and i LOVE it, i will NEVER go back to a pc,, mac are far and away better than pcs
xxx xxx Post 8 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
congratulations ryan...was for sure the right decision...:)

best regards

h
Dusan Hoza Dusan Hoza Post 9 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
I'll get the G5 soon as well.. X-mass for me again :)
When When Post 10 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Ppppfft. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Reminds me too much of the "I'm a Mac. I'm a PC." commercials.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2006/07/07/bwe-mac-ads/

Ya, and how many inputs do you have?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPn73Z7hC4g
Can you toast bread in high definition.

Just try keeping up with an Adobe podcast with a PC. Or hanging around a group of coffee drinking digital photographers using MACs. Just TRY it. AAhhhh........having an inferiority complex sitting in the middle of the pod cast, movie school, digital artist Geekland Warzone called Seattle. Damn.......think my PC got another virus.........gonna crash now.

Getting a MAC as soon as I can.
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 11 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
oh no..here we go again...

Dear santa......
Dave Donaldson Dave Donaldson Post 12 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Mac :))
Deleted user Deleted user Post 13 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Ryan,
I am on my third mac and I love them. They don't crash, don't get viruses, and are very streight forward to use. I have to admit that when I first got it, I had trouble because I had only experienced windows and the operating system is quite diff. That was the only drawback which went away with use. The technical support is very good also.

I have been told by Mac that photoshop does not run at the increased speed the new machines promised but that is because Photoshop has not completed it's software conversion. When that happens, between April and June (they say) we should see a real difference in processing speed

Hope this helps
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the