Advise for next camera

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Dominique Duriot Dominique Duriot Post 1 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hello,

I would like to buy an other camera.
My coolpix is cool but limited now I'm FC member ;))

I would like a canon 350D but I don't know if it will be good for me.
Thanks for any information or proposal for other material.

Kind regards
Domi
F M F M Post 2 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Any recent DSLR makes good pictures. There are differences in handling (usability), the material the camera is made of and some fancy features you probably don't need.
My advises are:
- Go to a shop, test different models and let your heart decide (start for example with Canon 350D and Nikon D70s).
- Don't spend too much for the body so you can afford better lenses (some Kit-lenses are not so good e.g. 18-50mm/3.5-...).

And last but not least, be sure you want to buy a DSLR. This means you will have to spend some time on the computer to make the pictures look as sharp and saturated colours like your coolpix.

For camera tests look at http://www.dpreview.com/

Post Edited (17:53h)
Dominique Duriot Dominique Duriot Post 3 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Thank you very much FM for your reply!
I don't realy know if i want this kind of camera, i need some advise and reflexion before
As you said go to the shop it's a good idea but befor I would learn more about material
I wil go to your link, i mean it will help.

BTW Is there somebody who use 350D? I would like to have their feeling
Many thank once again FM

Cheers
Domi
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 4 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Dominique Duriot wrote:

Quote:
I would like a canon 350D but I don't know if it will be good for me.

You are the only person who can give an answer....

To find an answer you have to ask more questions to yourself:
What do you need?
What do want to have?
What do you want to do with the camera?

All types of cameras have pros and contras
compact cams are small and comfortable, but habe limited functions....
DSLR are offering more options (and better quality), but they are big, uncomfortable and more expensive.....
bridge cams are a good compromise between compact and DSLRs....

Within these types you have to check the pros and contras again....
For "starter level"-DSLRs the differences are marginal. At the end sympathy is a very important criteria!
Hence I agree with F M: Go to a shop and test them, "taste" the feeling of using a 350D, D70s/D50, E-500, ist DL and.....
Dominique Duriot Dominique Duriot Post 5 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Thank you very much for your advices!!
It helps me a lot
You're right I must go and see in a shop and feel what it's the best for me.Once again I thank you Oliver and Andy
I will chek for bridge cams, it's a good idea
See you

Domi
Kristianto Wibowo Kristianto Wibowo Post 6 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
I my self using E500, I'm satisfy enough with this camera..cheaper than his competitor but not a cheap picture quality.
Minor : Hard to get focus in low light...if you want to uswe it outdoor its a good gear you can consider
Deleted user Deleted user Post 7 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hi .. I use a 350d .. it is a nice sharp camera, when used with the right lens, but for me I found it a little small for my grip. That is not to say you wouldn't love the size as that is a personal choice ... as with all the others I suggest try before you buy. You don't mention what you wish to use it for ... use can dictate what type of camera will be suitable or not. Good luck with your search. Regards, Paul.
MWPhoto MWPhoto   Post 8 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Dominique: I have had a 350D for about a year. I think it would be a good "next step" for you. If you are looking to gain more control over your images than the coolpix affords, you will find that the 350D has plenty of capacity to grow into as you learn. I am a long way from using all the features available. The only problems (as mentioned before) are that you will certainly want more lenses and you will spend more time on image adjusting - but I think those are good things if you enjoy the creative aspect of photography.

An experienced SLR user may not be impressed by the 350D, in which case Canon (and Nikon) have plenty of more expensive choices!

Also, with the advent of the 400D, the 350D may be even more affordable.

It is a good tool, in my opinion.
MATEO Rodriguez MATEO Rodriguez Post 9 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
im quite new to photography and im planing on buying a CANON AV-1 any coments on this cam?
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 10 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
An AV-1? You are one of the few analog-freaks here?
In general the old Canons are good, buying it second hand it depends on the state of the camera you can get......
The bad side is that you cannot use the lenses on modern cams (maybe someday you want to upgrade), I think only Pentax is offering this option...
Deleted user Deleted user Post 11 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Dominique you have probably already decided what you are going to do but I thought I would use this thread to add what I have found over the last 3 years doing exactly what you are.

My first digital was a Nikon 2100 back in 2003 - it had to be small to carry in my jacket pocket while riding my motorbike and it had to be a brand I trusted. While I had trouble with it in the first few weeks it was replaced by the seller and then gave me great performance for well over a year. In that time I took thousands of pix in many, many places with many, many great shots for my taste.

Then because I'm a guy I wanted a new toy (all guys want new toys and will use any amount and type of argument to justfy it - go on, admit it!).

I looked into a full range of fixed lens high end cameras but in the end they all were capped in terms of my ability to "customize" them over the long haul. I am not saying they took poor pictures but I saw them as having a short life span in my toy collection. So off I went to look at DSLR's. First I tried a a Nikon D70 with a Sigma wide angle-telephoto lens (by the way I agree with the advice listed be everyone earlier). It just didn't work properly, pictures were fuzzy and the lens and camera did not seem a match for each other. The seller wound up getting it all back and off I went again. I had no big lust for Nikon and was happy to just return it because it did not work out.

My analog gear was Pentax and they had come out with their *istDS. Some of my old lens would work with it and their lens kit made for good value. To make a long story short using my existing analog lenses with the new digital was really a poor setup (while they worked it made for awkward, poor images compared to using the right digital lenses). The kit lens was inadequate in terms of range and as I like a "one lens does all" approach I settled on a Sigma 18-125mm. Since I did not use a tripod, advice I got off this website said anything over a 125mm on a digtal (35mm equiv of about 200mm) would see too much shake, rattle and blur introduced. I shot almost 10,000 pix with that combo and loved it. I also found that it took such good pictures that when I was out on my motorbike I stuck it in my tank bag to shoot with instead of my pocket Canon I had bought after I gave my old Nikon to my son.

Then I sold my one toy - the motorbike - and wanted to replace it with another toy. I still loved photography and my wife needed a new camera as her 6 year old Olympus was getting pretty poor so I talked myself into getting a "real" DSLR so that she could have my *istDS and not buy another "intermediate" camera (you know - save some money). At first I was thinking Nikon 200 but when I went to buy one the availability was so poor I said "I don't like Nikon enough to wait for who knows how long". My wife had said that if I was going to go and buy a new camera make sure I got one which has a reasonably long life span.

Canon was the only company that made a DSLR that in my opinion I could grow with for years to come and was still in my price range. I settled on the 5D and some good quality lenses. Currently the EF 24-105 USM IS L lens is my standard lens I use for 90% of my shots but I added their 70-300 zoom and a 100m macro to cover the rest of what I shoot.

Yes it all cost more than what I started out expecting to spend (you guessed it, I didn't save any money) but I am very, very pleased with it all. It has taken me a few more thousand shots to get the hang of the fully manual unit(I am still not there yet but am getting better - there is a heck of a lot more to learn but then I did want to grow and I have and I have a lot of room to keep growing).

I don't subscribe to the Nikon / Canon debate (both are great and arguing one over the other is more about passion and opinion that facts). I subscribe to the ordinary "value proposition" - what do you want (details), what do you want to spend (budget) and what it is worth to you (pleasure).

For me it has been a progression. To have jumped into digital photography from my Pentax ME right to a Canon 5D would have been a disaster. Going first with a small pocket cam and then to the Pentax *istDS, being able to appreciate all their sophistication and limitations, was neccessary to be able to internalize my learnings - and come up with better arguments to convince myself I needed bigger toys (remember I am a guy, guys collect toys, that's just what we do).
Robert van der Sanden Robert van der Sanden Post 12 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Mateo,

I've used a Canon AV-1 for 25 years and only a few years ago it's foam seals crumbled. I repaired and keep it as a backup. I bought myself a Canon F1n body, second hand. I still use it today.

If you like to start in analog photography the AV-1 is a good camera that has always been a pleasure to work with. It's a very simple camera that does nothing more than give a center weighted auto exposure with aperture preset. A good camera for very basic analog photography. When you buy one, check it's foam seals in the back door and the foam damper above the mirror. It may be sticky, in which case you better not buy it.

Now that I have the F1n, I wouldn't want to go back to the AV-1 anymore myself. Extra on the F1n that is really handy is the possibility to set the exposure time manually, separate from the aperture. Correcting the exposure on the AV-1 can be done by fooling the light meter by adjusting the ASA dial but it's not comfortable. Also the depth of field preview on the F1n is a nice option.
And the F1n runs without a battery if needed. That was handy when it went dead last week and my replacement cell was new but not exactly fresh either.

If there's anything you like to know about the AV-1, feel free to ask me.

Robert
Claude Coeudevez Claude Coeudevez Post 13 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hello Dominique

Je vois que tu veux un meilleur matos … alors voici quelques conseils :

Prend un marque ou tu te sens bien, pour moi tu photographie mieux avec du matos que tu aime,
Pas besoins de courir vers les marques à la mode, ils font tous de belles images, à toi d’avoir du plaisir !,
N’investit pas dans un boîtier trop cher, car je trouve qu’il on une durée de vie très limités, aujourd’hui
10 m. pixel s’est bien, mais dans 1 année ou 2 ???? (Je me souvient du premier reflex Nikon 2m.pixel pour 15000 Euro, et il y seulement 5 ans …)
Le plus important : les objectifs, investit dans ceux qui ouvre vers F 2.8 certes beaucoup plus cher, mais alors là, c’est le nirvana !!!

(Je n’aime pas ceux qui font de belle théorie avec leur marque fétiche, j’ai du « xxx « et avec je suis le meilleur …
Je n’aime pas non plus ces pseudos clan Canon Nikon et autre, car pour moi l’image reste le plus important)

Ps : fait un tour en suisse, le matos est moins cher,

Amitiés, Claude
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the