The keel for this modern Great Lakes bulk freighter was laid on Nov. 5th, 1984 at Collingwood Shipyards, Collingwood, ON as their hull # 231 and was launched on April 18th, 1985 for N.M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. as the Paterson (2). She has the distinction of being the last lake built freighter built at the Collingwood Shipyards before they terminated operations Sept.12th, 1986. The Paterson was also the last straight deck bulk freighter built on the Great Lakes and was the first "new build" for the Paterson fleet since the Mantadoc was launched in 1967. The Paterson was the second vessel to be named in honor of the entire Paterson family.
On March 20th, 2002, N.M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. ended their long family history of operating Great Lakes vessels when they sold their active fleet of three vessels to Canada Steamship Lines, Inc., Montreal, QC. The three bulkers Paterson (2), Cartierdoc (2) and Mantadoc (2) were respectively renamed Pineglen (2), Cedarglen (2), and Teakglen. The Pineglen was named in keeping with CSL's bulker fleet motif of a tree name "Pine" (paying tribute to the 1937 CSL acquisition of Tree Line Navigation Co.) with the fleet suffix "glen" (in tribute to the 1926 CSL acquisition of Great Lakes Shipping Co. whose vessels used the prefix "Glen").
Overall dimensions (metric)
Length 736' 06" (224.50m)
Beam 75' 10" (23.12m)
Depth 42' 00" (12.80m)
Capacity 32,600 tons (33,124 tonnes)
Power diesel) 8,160 b.h.p.