Art photography

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Kieran Tobin Kieran Tobin Post 1 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Hi.. up loaded some new work.. been messing in the darkroom with oil paint and photo paper... look to see if anyone else has read about the same process as I can't seem to find any one else doing the same. Kieran
When When Post 2 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Kieran.

I did know a collage photography teacher in the late 80s that was doing very much what it looks like you are doing. At first I though you might have been her. Are you using solvents on the negative at all? She used to do some of the work onto the negative with fine brushes, then enlarge, print onto fiber photopaper. After she used pastels, chalks watercolors, and opique acrylics and oils to paint onto the print.

I've seen a few people lately mix digital prints with art medium then scan it back as a digital image.

To me it looks like you are enlarging the entire negative in a larger carrier. Like the effect. Then using art medium to paint.

I think you might awaken people to a use of photography that has been fading away in the digital age.
Kieran Tobin Kieran Tobin Post 3 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
HI.. many thanks for the reply, .. the process you wrote about I found intresting as I've heard about painting on black and white negitives, yet the process I use is different as I make a fliter out of paper using different coloured paper with pastel and oil paints.. It's the pigment in the paper and paint add to colour of the image during exposure I work with dijital in photopress work and have played with photoshop.. yet film is still the best for me.. thank you again for the reply.. Kieran
When When Post 4 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
I'm not fully understanding your process Kieran, but it sure is interesting. What do you mean by a paper filter? I've seen oiled color paper masks used and paper masked used during multiple exposure to even out an image. The oil makes the paper translucent and filters the exposure. Whatever you are doing keep it up. Please share more of your technique.

I resently set up a black and white darkroom because I wanted to get back to this type of photo art and using vintage box cameras. I was always too much of chicken or too poor at the time to get into color printing. Haven't had much time to do anything with it lately, and finding that a lot of the supplies I need are discontinued, difficult to find and expensive these days, I'm rather discouraged. I find I've been swayed towards learning more about CS and pixel processing. There is nothing like developing a negative or the physical manipulation of art medium though. Your first uploads put a itch back in me to get the darkroom set up.

Hope you get to showing more of your exhibit. I probably would have enjoyed going to it.
MWPhoto MWPhoto   Post 5 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Greetings, Kieran. Wonderful to have experimenters in the community!
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the