June 2015 Monthly Theme – Story Behind the Image

<12>
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 1 of 17
3 x Thank You
link
June 2015 Monthly Theme – Story Behind the Image

The monthly theme of June 2015 is “Story Behind the Image”.

Every month I will post photo challenge and topic. Anyone interested in participating can post an image in the thread to show how you depict the topic.

We are looking for photos this month that have a story behind the image, was there a particular challenge in getting this image? Did you meet someone interesting as a result of taking this photograph? Did you have to learn a new technique to make this image happen?

Tell us the story behind the image that you made. It could be a street image, documentary, portrait of some new technique you learn to make an abstract image.

This month the image can be new or something from your past portfolio.

****No Nudes****

( Download the image to your FC account and post the link to the image in this thread ).

There are no prizes for the monthly theme just the fun and satisfaction of participating.

How to upload an image into the forum;
http://www.fotocommunity.com/info/How_d ... omments%3F

June Monthly Quote;

Many of the most iconic photographs of the 20th Century are not technically perfect. They are slightly out of focus, overly grainy, or suffer from other problems. What makes them great is that they captured a moment in time which was special, and that couldn’t have happened if the photographer wasn’t there.
All the gear and technique in the world won’t help you take a great photo of a landscape or an animal if you aren’t there. At the end of the day, the great photos are taken by those who are willing to go out of their way to get great photos. Opportunities for great images will not come to you. Photographers tend to obsess about gear and settings and forget that in the end, you have to be in the presence of a great photo opportunity.
Unless there is something you physically cannot do with your current gear, upgrading probably won’t do much for you. Technique and being at the right place at the right time will do more than new equipment ever will.- Gary Arndt
Last edited by Ken Piros on 01.06.15, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
s. sabine krause s. sabine krause Post 2 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
no image without a story… ; )

[fc-foto:36202629][fc-foto:36234707][fc-foto:36110538]
Adele D. Oliver Adele D. Oliver   Post 3 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
one of the best quotes I have ever read, Ken - and should be a reminder to many :-))))
photos for this month's theme to come !!
Adele
adriana lissandrini adriana lissandrini Post 4 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
a very interesting proposal Ken, I will participate!
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 5 of 17
1 x Thank You
link
Sit and rest a spell Sit and rest a sp… Ken Piros 03.06.15 10

Story behind the image - One of the most interesting parts of participating in the monthly photo challenges is that it makes you get out and look for an image. Last months challenge for geometric shapes at first stumped me a little, couldn’t figure out what to shoot.

Then I thought of the Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University which is a Frank Gehry building https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Gehry and also called the Peter B. Lewis building after the person who donated the money to build it. Within the first year someone with a gun decided to go in and shoot the place up with students inside http://greg.org/archive/2003/05/10/swat ... ooter.html.

Now I don’t agree with Mr. Lewis’ life philosophy, start a successful business, sell it for an obscene amount of money, declare I don’t believe in marriage to one person for life, divorce your wife and play the field. Goes against my old fashioned values I guess, but I am getting off topic….squirrel ….. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrAIGLkSMls

Anyway, as I was looking around the Gehry building and a man sitting on a park bench started to ask me question about why I was photographing the building. We struck up a conversation and learned that he has Asthma and needed to sit down and rest awhile. If you look in his left hand he is holding his inhaler. After a short time we parted ways and I walked over towards University Circle which is where most of the museums, Cleveland Orchestra and Museum of Art and Cleveland botanical Garden are located. In the grassy area there where two guys from the CIA ( Cleveland Institute of Art ) playing a guitar and drums practicing their music. I stopped to photograph them and this kind gentleman came by again and we struck another conversation. He told me that once a week during the summer concerts are held in this area and people turn out from all over to watch and listen.
He was full of knowledge and very pleasant to talk to. If not for the monthly challenge I would not have met this wonderful person.
Last edited by Ken Piros on 03.06.15, 02:55, edited 3 times in total.
claudine capello claudine capello   Post 6 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I wanted to take the bird ...but i saw after that the expression of fisherman was interesting....

guardare nel vuoto... guardare nel vuot… claudine capello 04.06.15 23

greetings ! claudine
Adele D. Oliver Adele D. Oliver   Post 7 of 17
1 x Thank You
link
a campground in the Baja Peninsula, Mexico ... a very primitive "toilet" .... a turkey vulture sitting very close to the entrance of it - pretty creepy ....,
but I ran back to our van, got my camera, got this image and the lesson: don't go ANYWHERE without your camera :-))))))

A Story for the June Theme A Story for the J… Adele D. Oliver 01.06.15 34
Adele D. Oliver Adele D. Oliver   Post 8 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
A story without ending .... I have been photographing this house not far from where I live since 2008 .... my latest visit was in April of this year .

May 2008:
We are sooo bored! We are sooo bored… Adele D. Oliver 23.05.08 7
Sept. 2011:
We Are Soooo Bored We Are Soooo Bore… Adele D. Oliver 06.09.11 40
July 2013:
We Are Still Here We Are Still Here Adele D. Oliver 22.07.13 33

Nov. 2013:
They Let Us Out They Let Us Out Adele D. Oliver 26.11.13 98
Nov. 2013:
S o l d - where will we go ? S o l d - where w… Adele D. Oliver 27.11.13 23
Dec. 2013:
The Ongoing Saga of No. 3622 Main Street The Ongoing Saga… Adele D. Oliver 08.06.15 23

Apr. 2015:
The Ongoing Saga of No. 3622 Main Street (2) The Ongoing Saga… Adele D. Oliver 08.06.15 31
Deleted user Deleted user Post 9 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
[fc-foto:36281342]

The other day, my husband took me on a "memory lane " drive to the place we first met in 1992. We past this special "catholic boarding school building" I had not seen for many years. Since we could not stop the traffic I tried to capture a picture of it through the window of our driving car. The result is an incomplete image of the total building, but for me " a picture that speaks thousand words", but that is another story!
s. sabine krause s. sabine krause Post 10 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
shooting poppies and being rewarded…

[fc-foto:36274265][fc-foto:36280516]
Adele D. Oliver Adele D. Oliver   Post 11 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
the ongoing story of the Redhead sitting on a houseboat in the Victoria harbour:

May 2015:
The Red-Head The photo was voted to the gallery The Red-Head Adele D. Oliver 09.06.15 94

July 2014:
I Am Back ...... I Am Back ...... Adele D. Oliver 14.07.14 38

July 2013:
Wall - Flower Wall - Flower Adele D. Oliver 23.07.13 32
Stefania Cecchetti Stefania Cecchetti Post 12 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I was sitting in front of the Lake and I had just finished eating my ice cream,
when, is arrived a little little sparrow and, fearless has caught the remaining ice- cream .. ;-))

[fc-foto:36334178]
adriana lissandrini adriana lissandrini Post 13 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
[fc-foto:36321351][fc-foto:36228624] Passion for music n.2 Passion for music… adriana lissandri… 10.06.15 134

the story is told from the pictures, there is no need of words
adriana lissandrini adriana lissandrini Post 14 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Giovani da ammirare The photo was voted to the gallery Giovani da ammira… adriana lissandri… 08.09.08 217 [fc-foto:19491662][fc-foto:23896712][fc-foto:19973948]

I did several photo shoots during concerts of young musicians students of the Conservatory, I was always enchanted by their seriousness, engagement, passion for music .... I believe they can live in a dimension different from ours.
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 15 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Hint, July monthly theme Shadow People.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the