Working as a Photographer

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Deleted user Deleted user Post 16 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
'stop worrying, just do shots' - nice idea but hardly helpful - it isn't a case of mind over matter Al - although I am sure your post was meant to be helpful, but you are not going to get work by taking lots of images and then sitting at home feeling all artistic and inspired ... :0)
Albert Jinks Albert Jinks Post 17 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
paul- you are a jerk, but it is so true, so I guess that I am also a jerk, for all you artsy Kids that do what paul spoke of, well buzz off! Seriously, you have to put your self out there, and yes loving what you do will help, but knowlege and experience, will move you in the right direction! every one could use alttle practise. So you want to be a professional, shoot shoot shoot! Then put your best work in a folder, make contacts- - then show your work to every one(people who realy count!) then post it every where sell it and make some thing of your self, cause no will do it for you! Then you will be some where, and you'll be busy stressed, and loving every little bit of it!
Deleted user Deleted user Post 18 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
Albert - I am certainly not a JERK - a jerk may make hasty misguided posts in response to posts they havent actually read properly or indeed have read but failed to understand ... please re-read my posts (all of them) CAREFULLY and you may realise that I was actually NOT advocating the artsy sit back and love yourself as an artist style - in fact the opposite - I actually suggested doing all of what you said ... my comment above your offensive and misguided comment was actually a quote from someone else not a statement of my own opinion. Please try and observe the following in future ..
1) Actually read the posts carefully before making replies.
2) Do not become offensive or I will take immediate steps to have you removed from the site.

Post Edited (0:32h)
Detlef Klahm Detlef Klahm Post 19 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
you are good enough when people start buying your work...but to get there will take many things....
I have met people who have little technical understanding and they are making a decent living by the subject they are photographing and the contacts/buyers they have...I also know many fabulous photographers who have no skills in marketing their work and have settled for photographing for just their pleasure...
as for any business it takes much more than just just one thing to be successful

Post Edited (4:07h)
Jaime Crystal Attenborough Jaime Crystal Attenborough Post 20 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
Well i have also just started.
And i do agree with Detlef, it takes alot to be professional and for people to buy your work, i think that if its in your heart you will go a long way with perserverance, and talent.

I have sold one photo, i am also doing some promotional work for a Dj, and i have my first wedding coming up, so its not really "what you know sometimes its who you know".

try and do a few short course's or a degree, build up your knowledge and get right into it, as you will be more confident and it will show in your photos and your port folio.

just get out there, and talk to professionals that have been there and you will make contacts, and meet other people that are as talented as you.

hope this helped Nick

jaime :)
Charles Fowler Charles Fowler Post 21 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
Do not be shy talking with other establish photographers. Always keep shooting and enjoy your own work. Show it to other photographers but also show to non-photographers. Your clients and patrons are the one who will paid for your work. Also, learn as much as you can about marketing and business.
When When Post 22 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
Agree very deeply with Charles. A very large part of being successful is self promotion of your work, business sense is key, especially if you are making your own way. If you want a "job" working for someone else you may have to start out as a free intern.

What kind of photography work are you wanting to do? Are we talking advertising? Graphics? Portrait? Art?
Deleted user Deleted user Post 23 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
I think many people may aspire to being a freelance, free-spirit photographer ... me included ... but in my experience the best way to do this is to work for someone else first .. it is a great way to learn in months what may take you years to learn alone ... I did this in my first business where I got a job working as a mobile phone salesman .. I learned the industry ropes and made a few valuable contacts .. then I went solo when I felt I had learned what I needed from bigger fish with more 'fishing' experience ... I think that anyone who doesn't want to work for someone else should at least consider it in the short term ... even if it means working for free !!!! And although I am not working for anyone else at the moment I never miss an opportunity to talk to professionals ... get to know them and get my face and name known by them ... it has earned me countless tips and contacts ... Good luck.
Alex Rebosa Alex Rebosa Post 24 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
I have been shooting for year as a hobby and I have never sold any of my photographic works. My works usually deals with shooting photo and video for my friends and relatives during special occassions. I package both video and photo coverages using my "self-study skills" for video and photo editing and transfer them to VCD or DVD slideshows and videoshows for viewing. The payment: well, the endless thanks and praises i received.

I have been considering using my skills to make additional money but I don't know how to start. I am an Engineer by profession and photography is my passion and hobby.

Any word of wisdom is very much appreciated.
When When Post 25 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
Best way to do it is just DO it.
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 26 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
Agree with Wen. Just go for it.
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 27 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
get this book nick : Photoshop CS2 for photographers by Martin evening
Deleted user Deleted user Post 28 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
Now still working on my photos So hope to get some jobs. lol
Dino A. Duemmen Dino A. Duemmen Post 29 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
I think working for a prestigious photographer or a studio will surely impact your creativity. I personally decided to improve my acknowledgment by reading on the net, first; second, by having a camera that I feel comfortable with; reading photography magazines and books. All that was due to the fact that I wanted to have my " Freedom " of choosing what suits my desires and therefore I end up by shooting architecture and landscape at night.
If you decide to work as a photographer, you must sell your work yourself as nobody else can do that better than you. If you are not good at selling nor having an experience in that field, you must learn it.
Don´t think too much about selling because it limits your creativity, but think of it again if you want to make a living.
I personally gave up my Ph.D in Economics, by the way it does not have to do anything with sells, for photography; a decision I am happy I took.
Good luck
Patrick B. Parenteau Patrick B. Parenteau Post 30 of 60
0 x Thank You
link
Shoot Shoot Shoot - In a studio, in nature - practice, read books and shoot shoot shoot! The best photographers I know and work with are all - SELF TAUGHT.

Patrick
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the