Lenses

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
sabrinaBBG sabrinaBBG Post 1 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
I hope somebody can help me, I have been looking for lenses online and a lady posted 3 that she would sell, I am hoping for cheap, but I am not sure if they a compatible with my Nikon d3100....
JC Pennys Optics No. 860904, 1:5.5f=80-200mm
Pentax 2x converter/ 20-06-42
Yashica 28-80 mm
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out!
Thanks Sabrina
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 2 of 5
1 x Thank You
link
I would say probably not. Are they advertised with a Nikon Mount? They most likely will not auto focus even if they can be mounted.

I would suggest looking at used from B&H, KEH or Adorama. I would stay with Nikon ( AF-S to auto focus on your 3100) , Tamron ( with Built in Motor / BIM ) or Sigma ( HSM ). If you go with Tamron or Sigma make sure it states for Nikon so it has the correct mount.
Last edited by Ken Piros on 16.05.14, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
sabrinaBBG sabrinaBBG Post 3 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
When I buy a 50mm Prime Lens it only comes with AF right? Thank you so much for telling me about B&H and KEH, I already found so much on there for great prices!!!!!
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 4 of 5
1 x Thank You
link
It needs to be a AF-S for the 3100. If you are not sure call the store, I have done so with KEH and they will tell you if it is compatible.

From you meet and greet post " I love taking pics of the family especially my 2 little nieces, I think all they know is me with a camera in front of my face =) "

If you have a 18-55mm kit lens that came with your camera set it to 35mm and look at the way the image composes in the frame and then change it to 50mm and look at the same subject and see how it fills the frame. Which looks better the 35mm or the 50mm and go with that fixed focal lens. I personally have both the 35 and 50 and I think the 35mm works better for inside photos of kids and family.
But the 18 - 55mm kit lens covers the same focal length as either the 35 or 50 mm fixed and only benefit is the f1.8, Another lens is the 55-200mm focal length, it is a cheap lens and gives you extended coverage over the 18-55mm.

When it comes to lens there are a lot of choices, I love the fixed lens, they are sharper and better in low light but a 18-55 and a 55-200 make a great combo to learn with.

Good luck with your decision.
Holger Findling Holger Findling Post 5 of 5
1 x Thank You
link
We should be aware of a couple of concepts.
A 35 mm lens for the Nikon 3100 requires a silent wave motor build into the lens in order for the camera to autofocus, hence the -s. Although the D90 was a short lived product, it was actually a great concept since the camera could focus either a lens with a silent wave motor, or use the motor build into the camera. It provided for the greatest set of existing lenses on the market.

What is a 35 mm lens?
A 35 mm lens designed for the D3100 is actually a 50 mm focal length equivalent lens. The camera does not use a full frame sensor. It is a little bit confusing, because the D40, D90, D3100, none of them are full frame cameras. By full frame I imply the 35 mm film equivalent. Therefore a 35 mm focal length is equivalent to 50 mm, which is also equivalent to human vision (what a person sees). This is why a 35 mm lens is preferable. It is a bit confusing because most literature refers to 50 mm, not clearly referencing full frame or 35 mm film.

A short time ago, full frame sensors had 12 Mega pixels, and they cost a lot of money. The problem is that the resolution decreased because the pixels had to be spread over a larger sensor surface area. No real benefit in that.
It is the person that takes great pictures, not the camera!
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the