* * * * * * *
All pet owners should be aware of this:
1. My life is likely to last 10 or more years. Any separation from
you will be painful to me: remember that before you take me home.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me and place your
trust in me - it's crucial to my well being.
3. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment.
You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only you.
4. Talk to me sometimes: even if I don't understand your words, I do
understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
5. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
6. Remember before you hit me that I have a beak/teeth that could
easily crush the bones of your hand but I choose not to bite you.
7. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or
lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps
I'm not getting the right food or I've been in the cage too long.
8. Take care of me when I get old: you too will get old.
9. Go with me on the last journey. Never say *I can't bear to watch. Let
it happen in my absence.* Everything is easier for me if you are there.
10. Remember that I love you.