Designed by local artist Thompson Dagnall
THE HALSALL NAVVY
A tribute to the navvys who hand dug the start of Leeds-Liverpool canal.
The first sod was actually dug on nov 5 1770 when construction of the
canal first commenced,originally just wide enough for one boat it had
to be widened later to accommodate the coal traffic from Wigan.
The canal officially opened from Liverpool-Leeds on oct 19 1816