Lisboa, 10 Febbraio 2012
The Navio Escola Sagres is a tall ship and school ship of the Portuguese Navy since 1961. It is the third ship with this name in the Portuguese Navy, so he is also known as Sagres III.
The three-masted ship was launched under the name Albert Leo Schlageter on 30 October 1937 at Blohm & Voss in Hamburg for the German navy (Kriegsmarine).
Following a number of international training voyages, the ship was used as a stationary office ship after the outbreak of World War II and was only put into ocean-going service again in 1944 in the Baltic Sea. On 14 November 1944 he hit a Soviet mine off Sassnitz and had to be towed to port in Swinemünde. Eventually transferred to Flensburg, he was taken over there by the Allies when the war ended and finally confiscated by the United States.
In 1948, the US sold him to Brazil for a symbolic price of $5000 USD. He was towed to Rio de Janeiro, and for Brazil he sailed as a school ship for the Brazilian Navy under the name Guanabara.
In 1961, the Portuguese Navy bought him to replace the old school ship Sagres II (which was transferred to Hamburg, where she is a museum ship under her original name Rickmer Rickmers). The Portuguese Navy renamed her Sagres (the third ship of that name), and he is still in service. He is the Portuguese Ambassador in the world. On 8 February 2012 he made 50 years serving the Portuguese Navy.