What is it worth ?

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Rob Wells Rob Wells Post 1 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
I have a guy in Boston who wants to buy some photo's off of me. I have never sold a photo before in my life. How do you put a price on it ?

The easy part is costing for the materials and postage and packing, after that, I wouldn't know where to start in pricing the actual image itself. So for all you professional types...how do you do it ?
Al Retunski Al Retunski Post 2 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
what's the problem? you are fearing of selling your work too cheap, or
Deleted user Deleted user Post 3 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Al - he has a small problem, he doesnt want to undervalue his work, he doesnt want to price himself out of the market or simply be too expensive ... he wants to encourage more work and sales ... Rob - I guess it depends on what you are selling - if it is a standard portrait then find out what the pro's charge for similar and decide something maybe a little less to reflect your lack of experience and wish to increase business, if it is 'art' prints then look at a local gallery that sells prints ... and do likewise ... what would a similarily sized poster print in a shop cost - then consider that yours is an original photographic print and worth somewhat more .... maybe double maybe more ... it is a very difficult thing to way up and a very personal decision that I struggle with very often. I know I am not being much help but I am trying :0)
Deleted user Deleted user Post 4 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
A pic is worth as much as someone is willing to pay...

I'm not a commisioned piece? it's a piece that you've made already. As you say, the materials and postage is the easy part. Sticking a value on something is not.

Doe he mind you having your name on the front? Could be a factor too. If it's just a plain print then the story stops there. he hangs it, nobody knows who did it.
Slap a name on it and it's personal, your name goes forward. Advertising.
Could all play a role.
I think we've all seen prints in shops with some apparent no-name artist on them and the prices are bumped up to suit.

My local place has some B/W stuff, mass printed going for 40 Euros a pop, slap an "Ansel Adams" on a print, (in my opinion and inferior print, and something I can knock out all day) and it's double money.

Ok, I'm not very helpful here. I'm still dealing with the problem myself, but I am learning to value the skills I have and the work I produce. If people want it, they have to pay for it. Gone are the days where I do things at cost.

Good luck on nailing a price. Let us know how you get on.
Rob.
Detlef Klahm Detlef Klahm Post 5 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
what are the image used for...personal, publications?..if publications...local, national international, main page, insert, 1/4 page, 1/2 page..single use....all these make a differents in price
Rob Wells Rob Wells Post 6 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks for the advice so far...or not, seeing as how badly some of you thought you did !!

The sale is for 3 copies of the same photo, and just for hanging in a private home. Approximately A4 size and printed on textured paper (190g/m2).

I have done a bit of snooping around today in a few local galleries and have seen similar pieces selling for between £30 to £55 each. I think I may try to charge around £50 each (+ postage + packing), and see exactly just how much he wants them. I can always haggle if he laughs.
Rob Wells Rob Wells Post 7 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Ok, I agreed a price of £45.00 (65 Euros) per print. I'm as happy as the proverbial larry !!
Deleted user Deleted user Post 8 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Excellent, Rob.
Well done. Sounds a good and fair price too.
Belinda R Belinda R Post 9 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
It's so awesome to see this topic because I was also trying to come up with ideas about this over the weekend. Knowing a basic price is always helpful.

Congrats and it really sounds like a wonderful begining! :o)

..belinda
Detlef Klahm Detlef Klahm Post 10 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
good for you man!
R Caper R Caper Post 11 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
The problem today is -reproduction-scanners etc-everyone has one-I would sign the print-lower right corner and number it-001- of 100 or whatever-have it printed on professional paper that has a copyright logo on the back and then it goes by size-
In the USA 8x10-$50.00 to$100.00
-11 x 14 $150.00 -16 x 20 $250.00
20 x 24-$350.00 -20 x 30.$500.00 etc-of course if you are well known then the pricing starts to multiply.
HOPE THIS WAS MORE TO THE POINT FOR YOU
Rob Wells Rob Wells Post 12 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks, RC. Useful advice.

I have done the printing myself and I will be signing them as being limited editions.

As I said earlier, a cheque for $275 (US) is currently winging its way to me as we speak...so I seemt o have fallen well within your price range (all the prints are on 8x11).

The buyer also owns a gallery in Boston and has even suggested I get 15-20 pictures together to exhibit them in October. Last week I was just a happy snapper - this week I feel like something a bit more.
Stu Good Stu Good Post 13 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Good for you Rob.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the