Time and Motion

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Rob Wells Rob Wells Post 1 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Ok, lets hear how much time you all spend out and about with your camera's in order to capture that elusive 'one-in a million' shot.

Personally, I'm not a great lover of going out for a long time (short attention span, anti-social mentality, feeling like a geek carrying the camera), so a lot of my shots are taken at home. I spend maybe 2 evenings a week taking pictures of the things that catch my eye, and then two mornings a week wondering why on earth I bothered taking the pictures the previous evening.

Come along people, how do you all do it ?
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 2 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
I carry my camerabag around just about everywhere i go.
Several days a week i go on trips either to make own free work or sometimes on assignment.

I've had it happen several times already to miss a golden shot just because of not having a camera with me.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 3 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Hey Rob - welcome to my world ... I will expand ... candid shots are impossible for me because (like Rob) I feel rather silly carrying a camera around .. and certainly havent got the nerve to approach people or take unsolicited shots - even though I am quite a stocky skin headed bloke ... I have no patience whatsoever and like quick results or none at all ... thank the lord for digital !!! also as I am not one to go out with my camera a lot, unless under the cover of darkness or to somewhere quiet, I have to make the most of my time out so I shoot a lot when I normally wouldnt bother because its the only chance I may get ... and as a result I often look back and in the cold light of day I realise (as I already suspected) that it wasn't the right light or correct position and therefore wonder why I bothered. I also am very critical of my own work ... I would rather delete something than show it if I am less than 90% happy ... and what seems a great shot one week looks poor the next and vice versa ... I also started my hobby by taking almost all my images at home ... or if i dared to venture out as soon as someone turns up I pack my gear up and go ... so you are not alone Rob - the amazing thing is that I have got as many shots as I have got - because I am almost exclusively a solitary newbie photographer ... keep it up though Rob. Oh yes - I have very bad hay fever so summer shots of lovely weather will be a rarity in May, June and July.

Post Edited (13:15h)
Rob Wells Rob Wells Post 4 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
So there's only the 3 of us that have any sort of routine then. We must be special !!
Martin Unger Martin Unger Post 5 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
4.!
Well, I don't know if I should call my way "routine". I don't carry my camera with me all the time either, except when I'm travelling. Though I also shoot with a small camera which I see as a supplement to the big one, especially for snapshots etc. Some excursions in search of good motifs from time to time, mostly on weekends; sometimes improvising a "studio" in the living room, when I've got an idea and nothing better to do.
So what's mainly determining my choice of motifs is chance and location (in september you will see some pictures from Bergen -because I'll have a course there). Mostly working alone, as I don't yet have many contacts here, the feedback I get here in the fc has become very important to me.

Paul: You can use Cetirizin (Zirtec) or equal, good effect on hay fever you can have with some nasal spray with a corticoid (Nasonex...) and some antiallergic eye-drops (Zaditen...). You just can't leave us without your pictures so long!!! Just one question: Are you sure the tears in your eyes are from hay fever, or are you just weeping because you don't have a Nikon??? Then the cure will be easy...
Matthias Moritz Matthias Moritz   Post 6 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Like Ruud I carry with me my camera almost everywhere I go. I really don´t want to miss THAT situation, coming along to be the shot of my life.
Detlef Klahm Detlef Klahm Post 7 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Just for the love of it!
Stu Good Stu Good Post 8 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
I have no real routine at all. When I'm on holiday the camera goes everywhere with me [except surfing of course :-)]. Other than that unless I'm going out somewhere specifically to take photos I rarely carry my camera.
Probably for many of the reasons already mentioned, feel a bit daft when you get funny looks for carrying a camera, lack of nerve to ask permission etc, but also because I guess I'm just lazy, I know I ought to make the time but it's just too easy to sit in front of the tv or my PC after work.

Right you've inspired me Rob, I will go out at the weekend a take some photos, there's a Harley Davidson Club camping at the Rugby Club this weekend an ideal opportunity.

[provided I can find the nerve to ask :-)]
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the