Nikon vs Canon. Which to choose?

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Zilvinas K. Zilvinas K.   Post 1 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Could somebody explain me the differences between the two of them? I'm talking about APS-C size sensor cameras. I shoot indoors and outdoors, people and architecture, no flash and with studio lights, low iso and high iso. No sports, fast action, where high burst rate is needed.
Vladimir Plugnikov Vladimir Plugnikov Post 2 of 13
1 x Thank You
link
By Canon 550D or 600D body only and with some L- lenses like EF 24-70 / 2,8 and EF 70-200/2,8 . Or, if these lenses are expensive for you, buy budget EF-S 18-135/3,5-5,6 IS.
It will be best solution from Price /quality ratio: 18MP sensor, low noise. ISo from 50 up to 12000/
Both bodiese are almost same but 600D has rotated display, some times it is very usfull.
Holger Findling Holger Findling Post 3 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
I use a Nikon and a Canon camera. I have abused my Nikon endlessly on many tough hiking trips, but never experienced a failure. Unfortunately, the low-end Nikkor lenses fail more often and don't handle the rugged outdoors well. In the U.S. it is very difficult to claim warrantee, unless the lens is a Nikon-USA made lens. The higher-end Nikor lenses are great.

I would look at the inside of the camera body closely, the cavity is typically outlined with a black non-reflecting felt like material. When this material ages it flakes tiny fibers, and these fibers settle on the sensor because the sensor is statically charged. I have to clean my Nikon sensor at least every 6 month, and sucking the debree out is difficult. Never blow air into the cavity.

I never experienced the senso problem with the Canon, the build in sensor cleaner works well.

I think that both camera types are great; one is a little more maintenance for me.
Dr. Labude Dr. Labude Post 4 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
All I can say is that I am extremely happy with my NIKON D7000. If you shoot indoor without flash you will like the abilities of the new sensor which works perfectly with 4000 ISO and more. If you want the same sensor with less features (and less bucks) consider the D5100.

Chosing a D7000 means having a huge choice of lenses because even all the older NIKKOR without built-in autofocus motor work on it. For architecture you can even buy used shift-lenses (manual focus though). For people photography the 50/1,8 is a bargain and the 50/1.4 is a dream but quite difficult to focus in dim light at open aperture.

As an always.on-it-lens there is a fine 24-200. I would buy that today instead of my two zoom lenses.

Greets
Labude
_visual_notes_ _visual_notes_ Post 5 of 13
1 x Thank You
link
All cameras are very good today, it doesn't matter if you choose Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, or Panasonic.

Don't spend all your money in a good camera body - it's important to have good lenses!
abross abross Post 6 of 13
1 x Thank You
link
To put it simply, it would be more about your brand preference. They are both great in coming up with great hardware.

Though with the lot of what has came out and what not, there has been better releases from Canon or at least with the auxiliary stuff that you could find useful in a lot of times.

That would be more important with the lot, still.
jim007 jim007 Post 7 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
I use Canon as well as Nikon. As far as digital sensor I would say the Canon sensor are very very good. I know some of Nikon cameras use Sony sensors and they are perceived by some as not as good as Canon's. As far as lenses both brands have great lenses and choices of focal lengths. My Canon S-95/S-100 meets most of what you are looking for in a very portable package. I love my old Nikon P50 for the viewfinder as most LCD/OLED screens wash out in the direct sunlight.

I do agree with Jurgen W2 - great lenses or excellent optics are more important than body or sensor M-pixels! My old Olympus E20 was the best lens/sensor combo 10 year's back for none removable lens DSLR.

Maybe purchasing a new lens and used body these days might be the best move as body model changes/updates are very rapid since sensor and image processing technology is moving forward at very fast pace.
Andy-Wood Andy-Wood   Post 8 of 13
1 x Thank You
link
Makes no difference ... buy a camera you like the feel of and use it. I doubt if anyone can tell which kit was used on any of the excellent photos here on FC. I agree with the comments above about lenses, having said that every lens has a sweet aperture, so experiment with what you have and you might be surprised what you can get.
photovictim photovictim Post 9 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
hei. here's a canon that is worth using.
http://www.nixmann.ro/Aparate-Foto/Apar ... 110-Negru/
Glenn Capers Glenn Capers   Post 10 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
The first thoughts that come to mind is what do you have as a current camera. There is a little down time when you switch to a new camera. You have Shutter vs no shutter cameras. I have a few cameras I like for different reasons. Growing up and getting over your old security blanket camera is always hard to do, but will always with out doubt open new doors should you select something entirely different to shoot with.

I'm a Nikon guy. I cover a lot of street around the world. The weight from my kit has gotten heavy and reminds me of hell week when practicing a sport. You can suck up the pain, try to hydrate your body and pretend your in an old French foreign Legion movie. One step after another you breath deep and forget why you are at some location shooting, and search for a place to sit. Wow you are not an iron man or woman, but rather flesh and blood cramping and needing a restroom.

A while back in New York City there was a big photography convention. New gear for the hot trends of shooting. You can be like the Kung Fu Master, and grip new light cameras in the palm of your big strong hand which you obviously developed with full frame camera bodies and super fast lenses. At the end of the day you will discover that your muscles are not strained from the new lighter technology. The outcome is you still have life in your step and come bed time you don't snore at night.:)

The other you begin to learn new ways to capture interesting images.

There is a black hole to new lighter gear. You buy a new light shutterless camera and buy the adaptor for your Cannon or Nikon lens. Within seconds you discover how heavy the lenses are. This means your new camera is lighter but there is significant weight, and in time you will be dragging.

The other out come is what I call ownership of a 4x4 jeep. Unlike a two wheel low clearance vehicle. You can only drive so far. You get out and walk and quickly come to your senses that you've run out of time and light and that hot location will never be reached. The light camera with light lenses is like the 4x4. You just go further out into the muck and mire until you are not only stuck but tied up in an environment that is so challenging that you can only hope to have the skills and sense to back up and respect your limits. A little small camera for me can take me deep into the lives of others.

With the silent no noise feature on the Nikon1 v1 I was shooting. A family in Varanasi during the last breath of their mother's life. I was invited in to document memorable moments for the family. I know if I had my monster camera the opportunity and chance to be a friend would never have happened.

In conclusion when you think of which camera to choose, don't solely think of a new camera similar to the one you already have, but choose a camera after you ask yourself, what and where in life to you want to experience and come back a richer person from behind a camera.
Glenn Capers Glenn Capers   Post 11 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Quote: Jürgen W2 22.04.12, 21:58To the cited postAll cameras are very good today, it doesn't matter if you choose Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, or Panasonic.

Don't spend all your money in a good camera body - it's important to have good lenses!

i agree good fast glass is just about everything in relation to light transmission. A great cpu processor in the camera helps s well.
Anila Jain Anila Jain Post 12 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
I will go with Nikon!
Carla Fiorina Carla Fiorina Post 13 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Olympus OMD5 forever:-)
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the