Giving comments and positive critiques

<12>
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Deleted user Deleted user Post 16 of 30
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Ken, a fine contribution to this discussion and it's true. Most people just want to hear praises and don't give a thing about the real quality of their work. Lets start saying we're all amateurs or else we could make a living out of our hobby. But, and now I speak for myself, this amateur hopes to get fair and honest comments on his work but most of all a critique when needed because I want to learn as much as possible from other good amateurs. And maybe once I've improved my skills to a certain level that I could earn some money with my photos. I've exhibitions of my work on a frequent base and sometimes I sell one or two photos and that's also a form of recognition or praise because strange people like what I made and want to pay money for it and hang it on their wall back home and that's a big kick, believe me. I understand some members don't have such a drive and want to show their Grandchildren or holiday snapshots, okay with me as far as I'm concerned. But isn't it possible to place on your profile a marker when your in for critiques or not. And I know about the Critique - straight and tough section, I was in it a few years ago but that is the same as the normal gallery.
gr.Rob
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 17 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
The critique straight and tough would be a good place to start and change the mentality. They are already showing a willingness to receive the critique by placing their image there. I am willing to take the time to start leaving a honest critique there, I did a few yesterday, if a couple of others that want to join in that would be a great start. If we get hate mails from this group I just make a mental note of it and not comment either way on any more of their images. I come here to relax and enjoy photography not get into a pissing match with an internet tough guy.

Maybe the Gallery would be the next logical place to leave critique. It is a voting section and if people vote "Pro" or "Contra" it would be useful to know why and what to improve or look for next time. I don't always have time to leave comment in that section due to increased work schedule and the amount of time it would take.

As far as the remainder of other sections in FC I only comment on images I like or that stand out to me and in those incidences I am only a fan of the work. Everyday I go thru the "Subject channel / new images English and sometimes World" looking at the thumbnail image, each image has only a few seconds for me to determine if i move on to the next image or click on it to see it full screen, those are the images that catch my attention and most times will receive a fan type comment. Images for people I know are more advanced or are a Pro shooter I will leave a fan type comment to show I appreciate their work, there is no critique I could give them that they don't know and know better than me.
Last edited by Ken Piros on 29.06.14, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 18 of 30
0 x Thank You
link
One of the first things I decided to skip on my renewed membership is that voting section. Imho it's just a bunch of friends giving praises to each other to get that star and if they like do so but for me a closed section after getting hate-mails when I voted contra in contradiction with the group of friends. Don't get me wrong because I make mistakes and misjudge situations every day so I could be wrong giving a contra, but on that moment it was my honest opinion and brought with respect and with my name under it. I hate the anonymous culture.
gr.Rob
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 19 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
I agree with Ruud's earlier comments !
Mirjam Burer Mirjam Burer Post 20 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
as for me... I think we have to accept that it is as it is... a showcase for most people...
then let it be....
lg, Mirjam
Deleted user Deleted user Post 21 of 30
0 x Thank You
link
Leaving it as it is would be the same as following the Lemmings going over the cliff. I think warning them before going over is better and who knows, maybe a few will turn around.
Gr. Rob
anthony ryan anthony ryan Post 22 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
I have just read all these ( comments ) no pun intended,I beleave very strongly that none of us are perfect photographers and learn from each other.
I have learned so much from the likes of Rob and others who all know who they are and I value and critiques that inspire me to improve,no matter how good a think a picture of mine is i always know that other people can and will look at it a see things that I have missed and can improve.
If I never got any critiques I would never spot these problems and learn to improve, I always want to receive these honest critiques to my pictures and can assure everybody that I could never take offence.
I had a instance this morning were I receive a mail off somebody I will not name who said that is pictures where that perfect that he will not accept critique or advice off anybody and thinks he should only teach others,Personally I feel with a ego like this why show your pictures on a site like this.
I like everybody has a personal opinion of what I see and will all say what I think in a honest and offending way because I have never and will never knowingly offend anybody not least because I don't by any means conceder myself a expert in any way.
Tony
Deleted user Deleted user Post 23 of 30
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Tony, any member reacting the way you've described is a poor human being. Nobody is perfect and will deliver perfect work because in that case we could earn a good income with our cameras instead of hanging around on sites like this one. I think the FC has two important reasons to participate and those are: getting to know people from all over the world and when you're lucky even get some friends and the other reason is to show the results of our mutual hobby and then through getting honest critiques and even some help when needed getting better and better.
gr.Rob
Geoff Ashton Geoff Ashton Post 24 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
hey Rob you cant change the peeple

so write comments to those friends who think in simmeler way to you

no point getting worked up about it

bw
Deleted user Deleted user Post 25 of 30
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Geoff,slowly I think you and others are right and some times it looks like bringing water to the sea and that is a waste of time but....
gr.Rob
_Elena_ _Elena_ Post 26 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
Hello Rob. agree with you - meet friends and be able to communicate - a great thing ..
And constructive criticism is welcome .. !! :))
Luc Grollie Luc Grollie Post 27 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
I don't see just "snapshots" here, I often see a great photo (well, at least in my eyes)...but it doesn't get any comments at all !!!
so, my conclusion is that the buddy-culture is still ruling here on FC...it always has been and I'm afraid it's always gonna stay like this. that's why you rarely see me here...
greetz,
Deleted user Deleted user Post 28 of 30
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Luc, of course you're right and there are not only snap-shots to see here and I'm sure you know what I meant. And for those getting hardly any comments, I tried it over and over in the first months, but 99% of those members doesn't participate at all and then I'm finished with them. And then you'll see the famous 80/20% rule which is working very well here because of the amount of active members. Look in the statistics of the members with hardly any comments and then you see some of them have written 20 comments in three years. So it's logic there is a sort of buddy-culture here but even among buddies you can be honest and give critiques. And doing so I lost quite a few of them who didn't like my comments but that's not my problem. Just keep trying and who knows maybe once we see the light
gr.Rob
MarshiMitu MarshiMitu Post 29 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
Personally I joined this community to get tips and help to improve in what I love doing, and guidance to the best practices. Constructive criticism always helps, I prefer if someone tells me what I can do to improve and what I did wrong; as oppose to saying the photo was not properly done and leave it as that or it is a good shot.

I am beginner and I am not ashamed of that, been taking photos a long time now and they are still amateur photos. I have been reading and researching on camera etiquette, learning new filters and just overall experimenting on settings, environment and lighting. Whatever advises I can get, I will take it.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 30 of 30
1 x Thank You
link
Hi Marshi, if you want help you're always welcome to contact me. No problem for me and when I can help I'll do that
gr.Rob
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the