April 2015 Monthly Theme - Minimalism

<123>
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 1 of 32
6 x Thank You
link
April 2015 Monthly Theme - Minimalism

Minimalism is a style employed by many 20th Century artists, using a minimum amount of components such as color, shape, line and texture. Within the art world it is considered an extremely subjective concept, leaving interpretation and meaning up to the viewers perception of the work.

The shot should be a new shot you took this month, not something from your back catalog.

**No Nudes **

For more information see;
http://billfortney.com/?p=13360

There are no prizes for the monthly theme just the fun and satisfaction of participating.

How to upload an image into the forum;
http://www.fotocommunity.com/info/How_d ... omments%3F

Rust Belt - Industry Rust Belt - Indus… Ken Piros 06.04.15 7

Monthly Quote;
Style has no formula, but it has a secret key. It is the extension of your personality. Ernst Haas
Last edited by Ken Piros on 06.04.15, 01:18, edited 3 times in total.
BGW-photo BGW-photo   Post 2 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
* a l l e y ** * a l l e y ** BGW-photo 06.04.15 13

I took this alley with birches in the afternoon sun, Bernd
Leon2611 Leon2611 Post 3 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
I took these in the town I live in. Next to the river running through town some old oak trees got badly storm damaged, creating a dangerous situation for people taking walk along the riverside. Instead of just cutting them down the local goverment hired an artist to turn them into statues. with nothing but a selection of chainsaws he turned the remains of the trees into mermaids. To stick with the theme I shot at such an angle so as to try and have nothing but the statue in the frame. Hope you enjoy, and please feel free to comment.

Mermaids 2 Mermaids 2 Leon2611 06.04.15 1

Mermaids 5 Mermaids 5 Leon2611 06.04.15 1

Mermaids 6 Mermaids 6 Leon2611 06.04.15 1
Totoosart Totoosart Post 4 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
[fc-foto:35911582]
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 5 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
Lemon -  April Monthly Theme Minimalism Lemon - April Mo… Ken Piros 12.04.15 7
LadyNoone LadyNoone Post 6 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
[fc-foto:35926150]

I think of this image as a photo joke :)
s. sabine krause s. sabine krause Post 7 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
this month's theme is a tough one, quite a challenge!! i've been thinking about it forever, and struggling to come up with a contribution… for me "minimalism" exists mainly in the mood and the emotive impact an image has on the viewer, in the way it is perceived, rather than in the motif itself… come to think of it, ken, even your sample image, "Rust Belt – Industry", fails to evoke that raw, hollow, intense, "reduced-to-its-core" minimalist feeling in me, despite the "limited items" it depicts. hard to describe what i mean… wait, let me upload my own mediocre attempts at minimalism to try and illustrate what i mean. will delete them again later, i think – they're just not my style, somewhat "forced", and my storage room is almost full anyway… ; ) the eggs, i think, radiate a vaguely (very vaguely!) minimalist air, the tomatoes don't – WAY too playful, too vain and too contrived. and the eggs, well, they feel stale, highly unoriginal, as though i unconsciously copied them from something i've seen somewhere else. one thing's for sure, though: it's a monthly theme with great potential for discussion! and now… proudly presenting my fabulous failures ; ):
[fc-foto:35927920][fc-foto:35927936]
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 8 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
Sabine, I think your images work well with the theme. It is a hard topic and I have struggled with it also. I even questioned my sample water tower image as fitting the topic. But one thing I did get from the Minimalism theme is I am now more aware of the style so that when I am looking at other peoples images they have posted to the site I can now pick it up easier.
But that is why I choose the topic to help myself and others learn or make them more aware of other styles and maybe take them out of their comfort zone a little.

But just have fun with it .... that is the whole idea in the long run.
s. sabine krause s. sabine krause Post 9 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
yes, absolutely! i agree! and : ))) fun i had! always good to be taken out of one's comfort zone – broadens the horizon! so thanks again, ken, for coming up with the "minimalism" theme!
s. sabine krause s. sabine krause Post 10 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
another one from my creative struggle with the monthly theme ; ):
[fc-foto:35929414]
Leon2611 Leon2611 Post 11 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
Ken and Sabine what do you guys think about my attempt any comments or advice? I also kind of have the feeling it doesn't quite fit the theme but it was the best I could come up with.
LadyNoone LadyNoone Post 12 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
[fc-foto:35931770]

And next one - 100% natural :)
Ken Piros Ken Piros   Post 13 of 32
1 x Thank You
link
Leon, I think it works very well with the theme. I am glad you posted it and are participating in the topic.

Ken
gemblue gemblue   Post 14 of 32
0 x Thank You
link
Torn Screen Torn Screen gemblue 14.04.15 6

Over the weekend (the first nice and warm one ;-)) I ventured out and kind of rummaged through the old and now abandon buildings of the former St. Paul's Abbey. This photo is from a torn screen from one of the windows.
s. sabine krause s. sabine krause Post 15 of 32
2 x Thank You
link
leon, i'm fascinated with what the artist did to those "storm victims" – what a beautiful result! come to think of it, the context and process of how the "wood art" came about has a lot to do with minimalism… minimalism… as i said, for me it's a tough topic that i fail to grasp completely… i like all your images because of the "unobtrusive" way in which they make the art alone shine! i guess it's a minimalist approach and thus suits the monthly theme well. if i were to pick the "most minimalist" ; ) of them, i'd go for the last one, "mermaid 6", because it's all about sleek shape and an intense downward motion – the essentials of a mermaid diving! maritime minimalism made material! ; )))
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the