Sigma SD10

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Octávio Diaz-Bérrio Octávio Diaz-Bérrio Post 1 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
I would like to have some opinions concerning the new camera SIGMA SD10. The "Foveon" CCD looks wonderful.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 2 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Octávio,
unfortunately this forum is not used as frequent as its German counterpart.
The SD10 has some advantages over the SD9 (less power consumption, higher ISO)
The pictures look quite good.
I played around with a SD9 last year, and was amazed by the quality of the pictures in terms of colours, clarity and so on. What held me back was that the camera only supports RAW files - so you are bound to the Sigma Software to convert the pictures to jpg.
The SD10 users in the FC are completely convinced of the camera.
I hope some people with real experiences are willing to share them with us.
Regards,
Thomas
Deleted user Deleted user Post 3 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Octávio,
I asked regarding his experiences, and he replied. Unfortunately, he thinks his English is not good enough to reply himself - here is my translation:
The SD9 / SD10 tends to have noise, while long exposures and starting with ASA400 (slightly better with SD10). Thats the only issue he has with the camera, besides this, he is very happy with the cam.
A very positive point he is mentioning is the dust protector, which helps against dust on the CCD - additionally he is very happy of the good support from sigma in Germany - but this may be the same in every country.

Cheers,
Thomas
Octávio Diaz-Bérrio Octávio Diaz-Bérrio Post 4 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
My dear Thomas:
Thanks a lot for your help!
And tell your friend that if I was afraid about my English errors... I will speak (or write!) in Portuguese... ;-)
For me it is better a bad English than a perfect German - I am speaking about language! :-)
Best regards to you buddy
Octavio
Luis Soares Luis Soares Post 5 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Ola Amigo,
I was just in the market for a digital SLR and read a few reviews. This web site had a great review on the SD10. I hope it will be useful to you. www.stevesdigicams.com/2003_reviews/sigma_sd10.html

Good luck

L Miguel Soares
xxx xxx xxx xxx Post 6 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
while the picture quality is good for a 3.4 mp image (and effectively it is just that, although quality-wise it is comparable with 6mp images) the camera is quite limited in itself. both nikon d70 and canon 20d will give you a better tool with better images

regards
veniamin

http://www.portraiteer.com/
Octávio Diaz-Bérrio Octávio Diaz-Bérrio Post 7 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks for your opinions... and time!!
:-)
Ole Thofte Ole Thofte Post 8 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Octávio,

I have used Sigma SD10 since febr '04 - about 8000 shots :-)
And I think it's a fantastic camera. I also have a 3.4 Mp digicam Epson 3000Z which I like, but the Sigma makes far better pictures! With a good lens, like the Sigma 50mm EX, good light and some luck it produces supersharp, largesized photos with lots of details. And the rawconverting software Sigma Photo Pro is well constructed in most respects. It's been updated a couple of times and it's nice to go back to your old RAW-files and produce even better results. It's meaningless to discuss the camera against other cameras like Nikon D70 og Canon 10D or 20D. Personal preferences plays a large role as they should. My advice is to go to www.pbase.com and search for pictures taken by the different cameras. See what you like best. You might see my galleries along the way.

There are a few querks about the camera: 400 and esp 800 ISO photos can, if the light is poor, produce greenish noise. I have had this problem when shooting concertphotos without flash ... I then try and use the flash or I convert the photo to B&W and still have a nice sharp picture. Another problem has been power. It uses 4 NiMH rechargeable batteries. I bought 3 set of 4 batteries and 1 set works well with the camera taking 200-300 shots at a time. The other 2 allows only around 100 pics and I use them for the flash. But there are ways around this problem. Some people have complained about a yellow cast to some pictures. That's usually because of a wrong WB setting. This can be easily corrected in the software for correct colour presentation.

The camera can be had in Europe now for about 1300 Euro and the 50mm EX for about 250 Euro and you are off to shoot some very nice pictures. The Sigma lens line has a lot of different lenses and something for every purse. I have limited myself to a zoomlens 70-300 mm Super Apo II which cost me about 200 Euro and it's a fine lens, if not as sharp as the 50mm. Besides this I use quite a few manual and cheap M42 screw mount lenses via an adaptor. SD10 replaced the SD9 and is a moderate improvement, meaning that the other camera is also capable of very good photos and can be had now for about 750 Euro.

Best regards
ole thofte, Denmark
Octávio Diaz-Bérrio Octávio Diaz-Bérrio Post 9 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Ole!
Thank you for your detailed explanation.
Best regards
Octavio
Amigo Zomtec Amigo Zomtec Post 10 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
...very interesting to read all this :-)...good info guide...
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the