Second hand D70

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Dave Donaldson Dave Donaldson Post 1 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Just been offered a second hand D70 with standard lens and an additional lens I believe that goes upto 300mm.

Just curious what the FC members consider the value of a second hand D70.

It is a couple of years old and has been used on a regular basis.

I am also getting a chance to try it out for a couple of days before I decide to buy it, so is their anything I should look out for ??
Deleted user Deleted user Post 2 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Dave,

You probably have been offered the 'bundle' of body, 18-70 and 70-300. Nikon did this to provide a full range in one box.
This kit came after the basic body+ 18-70mm.

That 70-300 base lens shifts for about €100 on it's own here, the 18-70 for about €160, the D70 body for about €400. Together you could expect a little less.

As it's the extended kit, I'd assume it's a later D70 or even D70s. The D70 is a very capable camera indeed. The only real issue is the "Green light of death" The green LED that indicates the camera is writing to the CF card stays lit and the camera fails to function. Nikon will repair this for free though as it was a known issue.
Check the number of shots the camera has made. No shutter lifespan was predicted by Nikon for the D70 but I've only heard of one needing a new shutter at about 50,000 clicks.
Anything under 20,000 and you should be fine for a while.

So, body + lenses, I think you'd be looking at around €650-750 for the set.
The 18-70 is a pretty good lens, not super, but great value. The 70-300 base model is very lightweight and rather poor.

Alternatives to consider.
D80 body or kit.
Used Nikon 80-200mm F2.8 These tele lenses from Nikon are readily available on the used market for around €400-500 They are built to last and you won't need to upgrade from that, the optics are the finest.

If you just need the D70, and are prepared to live with that, there are bargains to be had, that's for sure.

Good luck.
Dave Donaldson Dave Donaldson Post 3 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Cheers for the advice ,

Need to get down to a bit of haggling :)
Sheila Macdonald Sheila Macdonald Post 4 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
I agree with Andy and Rob. I too, have a secondhand D70. It developed the "green light of death" and was repaired for free by Nikon. Not only that but they cleaned the CCD and serviced it so it is working very well indeed. I am very pleased with it. I paid about $700 US for the body, basic lens and a 76-135 mm lens.

Will be interested to see your pictures!

Sheila
kurt sesselle kurt sesselle Post 5 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
The d70 is a wonderfull good thing.
I have one with more then 70.000 shots on it and use it still.

In fact my wife use it still a lot!

The d70 is worth every $$$$$$$$

kurt
!
Robert Riley Robert Riley Post 6 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Be prepared to have the sensor cleaned on a regular basis.
Luc Grollie Luc Grollie Post 7 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
my new D70s, the cardreader failed after just more than one year....one tiny little contactpoint bended, couldn't read the card anymore, estimated repaircost 250 euros !!!!!
got me a superb D80 now !!
greetz,
greg ballard greg ballard Post 8 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
I have been using my D70 for 3-4 years now. I bought it new and have had very little problems. It had a problem of not turning off but nikon fixed that over 2 1/2 years ago and since then zero problems. I absolutely love my D70. not a huge fan of the d80, d60, or d50, i don't like the smaller bodies and the lack of accessability without having to go through the menu screens.
Ollie Grant Ollie Grant Post 9 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
I've had my D70 for a couple of years now and I love it. I've gotton some wounderful pictures wit it. User friendly, can take a licken and keep on clicken! Droped it four times in a fall, it still works. Broke my leg once but not my D70 Nikon when I fell. It's a good camera.
Richard . P. Richard . P. Post 10 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Go for it dave!. It was my first digital and i loved it. I would just consider getting rid of the 70-300 sometime and go for an 80-200 (slide or twist)which is a faster lens. I wouldnt sell the 18-70 cos it is a good lens.

Lots of luck with haggling!!
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the