monitor calibrating

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Victor Malakhov Victor Malakhov Post 1 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Hallo,
it's really a time for me to speak out the problem I have, perhaps can someone propose any solution.

In this digital era it is very important for all of us to have a good calibrated hardware, especially the monitors... especially TFT-monitors ;)
The colour calibration can be often seen as a just subjective criteria, which moreover can be relative easy and for non-profi accurate enough adjusted... even without that expensive calibrating hardware like ColorMunki or similar.
Much more problematic is the brightness and contrast calibrating. The "right" brightness and contrast depending much more on surroundings light, type of most used software, personal sensation and so on. In FC I've got the nasty surprise, how bad the consequences can really be: since many weeks me and one friend of mine are at strife about that, which version is "correct". I see my pics on my monitor in correct exposure in terms of my opinion to... my friend is getting the over-exposed version of the same picture uploaded in FC, and it is not really nice to see - with a lot of artefacts, much too bright, noised and so on. For example the last uploaded pic of mine:
Denmark Impressions Denmark Impressio… Victor Malakhov 03.09.09 15

In my intended version the woman's head is hardly to separate from the sky, my friend however see everything bright like almost in the midday-lighting. I can surely invite my friend to visit me and to have a look of my "intetions", but i can not invite whole FC-members indeed... now than... how can I find out whether my calibrating is correct or not, without expensive hardware?.. and second... is there any way to reduce the information in the image, so that those persons, who have much too bright monitors will altough see the only "dark version"?.. via blacks clipping? or any completely other solution?

I am sorry for my sometimes bad english and
I am thanking you in anticipation for your answers
bw
VicTor
Victor Malakhov Victor Malakhov Post 2 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Hello Andy,

thank you for your answer very much.
Yes I am using internet-sources to calibrate my monitor as well... although a bit better one: http://mcvh.homelinux.net/calibration.htm - visit this link, there is a really nice collection of gray scalas to calibrate monitors according personal prefers and sensation.

For colour calibration I am using the calibrating image from one photo laboratory in my city: its a special image in digital form on CD + analog print.

so this is the only one low priced way to calibrate monitor? It's pity. And all that scalas are not really helpfull to find out how to balance contrasts and brightness together... someone says: just max your contrasts up to 100% and than adjust brightness according grey scalas... others saying: the lower contrasts the better and so on... and someone like me is reading it and having still no idea what to do ;)

bw
VicTor
Deleted user Deleted user Post 3 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Is it possable its your freinds monitor that needs calibrating and not yours just a thought.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 4 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Victor, I believe that Phillip is right, it is your friend's monitor that needs calibration. On my calibrated monitor, your sample image looks like your described 'intention.' But, your second question seems to be how you might assure that your images appear as intended to the whole fc. I think each participant must be responsible for the receptive quality of their equipment. I imagine that it is very troublesome to think that some community members will not see your images as intended; bringing this issue to the forum may help them to verify that their equipment gives the 'best possible' rendition of your work. john

Post Edited (7:21)
Deleted user Deleted user Post 5 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
If you want to be really sure that your monitor(s) is/are calibrated correctly, I can only suggest the DataColor Spyder (http://spyder.datacolor.com/products.php)

DataColor also has a lot of other calibration tools that you can use to calibrate your camera's white-balance, lens calibration, etc.

Greets,

Glenn
martin alberts martin alberts Post 6 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
Hello,

This is Martin Alberts from Holland.
I bought about a year ago the Eye-One display 2 monitor Calibrator.
The results each time I use it are perfect.
Perhaps something for you too ?

All the best: Martin
Deleted user Deleted user Post 7 of 8
0 x Thank You
link
You can test your monitor display using this page:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

As for the free calibration : Adobe Photoshop CS (early versions) had a setup for step by step calibration. Not the best, as it is not automatic... Still, better than nothing.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the