from film to digital

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Visiones de vida. Visiones de vida. Post 1 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
To whom can help..I have been shooting film for awhile..now as I feel that the cost of development and scanning seems to be an issue..am considering selling my 35 mm equipment..I am at crossroad to not knowing is this is a good choice...any suggestion would really help..
Antonio Garcia-Bellido Capdevila Antonio Garcia-Bellido Capdevila Post 2 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Raul Luis:
I had being using slides for over 20 years, but about 5 years ago I went to New York (I live in Spain) and I bought a SONY Digital Camcorder (which also takes pictures (into Memory Stick)) and I stopped using the costly (but superb quality) Slides, they had very low MP, so finally this summer I gathered my savings and bought a SLR digital camera, the Canon D10. I am ever so happy, it is a superb camera and the pictures are worth the initial buying expense. So from now on no more cost in buying films or slides, just download to your computer and share with friends...

Take the plunge into Digital photography!!! I recommend it!!!

Best regards:
Antonio
Visiones de vida. Visiones de vida. Post 3 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Antonio...really appreciate your advice..I really want to and more than likely will..just intimadated by this new field of technology...a friend let me use his and it felt like startind all over again..but heck..I guess it like learning how to swim again..
Deleted user Deleted user Post 4 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
HI Raul - Digital is amazing and the results obtained whilst not quite as pin sharp perfect as film it is the way most professionals are going ... and i am sure that soon it will be as good as 35mm for quality and better in every other way .... the only problems i have with digital is ... 1) smaller sensors result in you not being able to get a decent wide angle lense ie 15mm or less this side of £1000. As you may be aware most digi cams convert the actual effective focal length by 1.6 so a 100mm lense on a film camera will actually be 160mm on a digi cam. The problem comes if you want a lense that is effectively 15mm or less ... taking the 1.6 factor into account you would need a lense of approx. 10mm ... EXPENSIVE !!! OK we dont often require ultra wide or fish eye but it needs taking into account. 2) Secondly AND the biggest problem - dirt on your sensor ... visit www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials ... clean.html you will see what I mean - I have been very careful and still have dust on my sensor after only a couple of months. It shows up when using small apertures especially on uniformly coloured scenes ... It is a real problem that has no easy answer ..... short of never changing lense you cant avoid it and you stand as much chance of damaging your sensor irreversibly as cleaning it successfully unless you want to pay around £50 for the manufacturer to do it and even then its not 100% perfect and only a short term fix. After sounding sooooooo negative on this point i would still say that digital is the ONLY way forward. Go for it .... P.S. the digital cameras with fixed lenses ie Canon Pro 1 etc .. dont have a dust problems as the sensor is permenantly sealed from dust BUT they offer images more prone to 'noise', chromatic abberations ie purple fringeing, slower shot processing times & smaller burst rates due to smaller buffer memories than the better quality full blown digital slr's ... i hope i havent confused you but i probably have ...
Deleted user Deleted user Post 5 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Hi, I agree to all of you.
Before I switched to digital (EOS 10D)almoust 2 years ago, I had taken 10,000 slides with my old analog CANON EOS.
Switching to digital was not a mistake, but I sold my analog equipment for little money. After that, I realized, that is is better to keep the analog camera:
(1) You may need wide angle, e.g. if you want to take pics of large groups
(2) If you want or need a resolution greater than the res of your digital camera (unless you buy a 12 Mpix or so).

I recommend: Keep the old stuff and do not sell it before you are sure that you do not need it anymore.
Regards, Pit
Visiones de vida. Visiones de vida. Post 6 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Paul...wow..overwhelmend with info..but definately understood and appreciated..its stuff like this that worry me..I realize the many advantages of digital, but issues like this are something to serious to consider..
Thank you very much...
Visiones de vida. Visiones de vida. Post 7 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
definately something I am considering under the circumstances..without a doupt digital is quite an advantage to being able to see your work sooner then film..but I must admit there would definately be situations to consider to use film..
Thank you very much.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the