getting photos smaller (compressing)

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Esti Eini Esti Eini Post 1 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Good morning everyone,
As the size limit here is 100KB or 200KB twice size, and as my photos are usually much bigger (1.5MB), I would like to ask what is the best way to get them smaller.
Thanks,
Esti

Post Edited (8:32h)
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 2 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Esti, that depends on which fotosoftware you use. Pls adv.
Esti Eini Esti Eini Post 3 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hello Ruud,
When I use photoshop , image, resize, image size,and want to achieve 100KB , then I get a very small pic, 300X300 pixels or less.
How can I achieve 100KB with more pixels?
Thank you very much,
Esti
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 4 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Ah, photoshop, cant help you there as i am a paintshop user.
However you should do 2 things, resize the picture to max 1000 x 1000, ( a little smaller may be better ) and then lower the amount of KB to max 130. Only with PS i do not know how this is being done. I'll ask one of the other CM's to have a look for you.
Martin Unger Martin Unger Post 5 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Esti!
It's actually very easy to do that uin PS:
resize first as Ruud described it, then go to the menu in "file" - "save for web". Choose JPEG as your format, you will find a small arrow in a box on the right side, click there and you come to a point "optimise to file size". Write in there "130" for a single upload, "260" for double upload.
OKOKOK, could be explained better, but I'm sure you will figure it out. Good luck!
Regards, Martin
Esti Eini Esti Eini Post 6 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Martin,
It works!!!
At last I can manage the size of my photos!!
Thank you very very much,
Regards,
Esti
Deleted user Deleted user Post 7 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Esti,
Firstly the maximum size for uploads to FC.com is 1000x1000 and 130kb. So little more space to play with than 100kb.

I'll run through the steps I take to resize images in photoshop.

I start with a 3000x2000 pixel image and want to resize it to 700 pixels wide.

Image/image resize. To open the dialogue box.
I see several fields there that I can alter to resize the image. The pixel dimensions are 3008 x 2000
Document size is 31.83cm x 21.17cm with a resolution of 240 pixels/inch.

At the moment I leave the 3 other options checked, as standard. Scale styles/constrain proportions/ resample image.

I change the resolution first, to 72 pixels/inch, the pixel dimensions change themselves to 902 x 600, don't touch those yet.
Uncheck the 'Resample image' box and the pixel dimensions change back to 3008x2000 but they are greyed out. Now recheck the 'resample image' box and the pixel dimensions are once again editable.

Type 700 in the width box for pixel dimensions and the height is automatically constrained and is reduced to 466 pixels.

Now click on OK.

There, the image is now 700 x 466 pixels at 72dpi, perfect for web use.

Now choose "save as" option, rename the file, click save and then set the quality to 8. This normally saves a file that is around the 130kb mark.

I say normally. This is where it gets tricky. Depending on the detail in the photo, the size of the saved file will vary, so the quality slider in the save options can be adjusted to suit.

Later versions of Photoshop have a "Save for web" option, if yours does, I suggest you use that, you have more control over the save compression of your JPEG and a direct feedback of the saved file size.

Compression is always a trade-off. Personally I'd prefer to post a slightly smaller image online than one that is badly compressed.
Although we have a 1000x1000 pixel limit here, you won't always be able to fill that size with your photo, it really depends on the complexity of details in the photo.

I hope this helps a little, if not just yell :)

Regards, Rob.
Esti Eini Esti Eini Post 8 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Rob,
I tried this out too. I got 118KB and a very nice compression too. So now I have two good alternatives. Both very good. I am very happy with that because I wasn't able to solve this problem for a long time........
I really thank you all very much.
Regards,
Esti
Mark Page Mark Page Post 9 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks for the tips Rob & Martin. I was struggling with this problem too - but both your suggestions work well.
regards, Mark
Claire L. Claire L. Post 10 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Martin and Rob, thanks from me,too. I also have problems with that and will now try your suggestions !
Greetings, Claire
Martin Unger Martin Unger Post 11 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Oh, I see that the data here is not up to date...
As the maximum file-size was increased a littel recently, you'll have to write "150" (300) instead of "130"(260)... :)
Raj Raj Post 12 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
if u want to compress ur pic size in photoshop

step 1

Open pic
Alt+i+s
And degress resulation and size and press ok
then save as to jpg

Hasan Banna Hasan Banna Post 13 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
i heard this problem many times..
after aditing ur pic u hav to save the img by 'save for web' option frm file menu..it must b jpeg format..
thn u hav to save the picture by 'paint' software(jpeg format)...
its the easy way to make the picture's properties smallest..
lets try out..
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the