why misery attracts more than beauty?

<12>
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Jaime Crystal Attenborough Jaime Crystal Attenborough Post 16 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
something real.
I must admit misery and happiness is all a part of this amazing world of photography, peoples emotions,sadness,love,heartbreak, its all apart of life and needs to be captured :0)
J
Beneath the stars Beneath the stars Post 17 of 29
1 x Thank You
link
Put it this way: Isn't misery beauty and beauty misery?? In every single thing is beauty. We judge too quickly. If we stop thinking in stereotypes like good vs. evil we will see the world with different eyes. In 'The Brothers Karamasov' by Dostojewski this conflict is perfectly shown.
'...if all ethical principles are not based on divine commandments; Everything is possible... .'
Miranda Legovic Miranda Legovic Post 18 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
We all like to be happy,but looking the artists and their work i have to agree with Tolstoj
Deleted user Deleted user Post 19 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
Herwig B wrote:

Quote:beauty, misery..both is relative...

its depends always on the personal point of view...

That´s it!
And the viewer his way of life.
imho.

BR
Fernando
tears-of-hatred tears-of-hatred Post 20 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
It is the ultimate human condition.
FADUGBA ALFRED OMOTAYO FADUGBA ALFRED OMOTAYO Post 21 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
COME TO THINK OF IT, IS BEAUTY NOT MISERY IT'S SELF? HAVE YOU NOT EVER WONDER WHY IS THE WORLD SO BEAUTIFUL? OR HOW DOES CERTAIN BEAUTY CAME TO BEING? MISERY AND BEAUTY ARE BOTH RELATIVE SO MISERY IS BEAUTIFUL TOO.
THANKS
ALFRED
John Sampson John Sampson Post 22 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
Beauty is all around us, and we tend to take it for granted. It does not surprize us when we see a beautiful woman, a handsome man, pretty children, a fantastic painting, a really good photograph. We expect that from life.
But with misery, povety, unhappiness, oppression, we are faced with our consciences. We cannot look away because it is real, it asks questions of us, it makes us question who and what we are, where we stand, what our priorities are, what we are prepared to do to change things. Can we contribute to making a better life for someone else, or are we just consumers indulging ourselves. How human are we, or do we look the other way and forget. With beauty you can. You can look the other way, and your conscience remains intact, unaffected. The opposite is not true!
Jon L Miller Jon L Miller Post 23 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
Most people can relate to the state of mind that misery projects vs the beauty. Human suffering will always draw an emotional response from anyone. people do not like to see others suffering.
Ahr Neely Ahr Neely Post 24 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
As most have said, I would agree that the terms (and the emotions relating to those terms) are very subjective. The cliche, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," comes to mind. However, from my own personal experience, I have two comments:

First, as a society we are constantly inundated with supposed beauty. Every time one turns around there is a commercial, magazine article, TV show, etc. depicting some beautiful person, vacation spot, product - what-have-you. With this barrage of beauty, sometimes the contrast of a little misery is needed. Sometimes we need to see the opposite side of things to keep our own lives in check, in perspective.

Secondly, I grew up in a small town in the Midwest. I left for college and ended up spending the next 10 years in the sunniest parts of California. I might have seen rain three days a year (and what "they" would call rain is really a light mist or drizzle that barely got anything wet, and still hardly a cloud in sight. Now that I have moved back to the Midwest, I cannot express how much I have missed the inclement weather. Now, thunderstorms and blizzards are my favorite kind of weather, and I can't wait to get out and photograph whatever it is that Mother Nature has to offer.

This second point may simply be an anecdote defining the first point; but it must be said, sunny weather doesn't do much for me any longer. I'd much rather have a miserable day now after so many days of sun. Helps me to appreciate all of it even more.

My weather story could be used to correlate to any of the other miserable things in life; and in photography specifically. I recall seeing an image in... well, it might have been National Geographic or Life... of an empty Operating Room with the remains of medical equipment and other debris following the frenzied attempt to save a man having a sudden heart attack. Quite a miserable image for most; but hopefully it is thought provoking enough for viewers to contrast to horrid thoughts of dying from a heart attack with actually living their life (at least, that's what it did for me).

That's why I think miserable images could be popular. Because it allows viewers to contrast that misery with the beauty of their own lives.

Maybe I have repeated what others have said, but this is the best way for me to explain why I think sometimes miserable images are better than beautiful images.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 25 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
simply because misery is still less common in pictures.
jazzysnapper jazzysnapper Post 26 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
This is a fascinating discussion. I think images of misery and other negative emotions can enable us to connect to that shadow side of us that we might otherwise block out and/or deny. All the emotions we possess - happiness, fear, sadness and anger are all important aspects of the human character and we can't just choose to have the more 'positive' ones, it just doesn't work like that. Without misery we can't know joy for example. If you look at an image of a young and 'beautiful' girl alongside one of an old woman, which would likely have the most character? which would likely have more stories to tell? which would we want to know more about?
photohood photohood Post 27 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
maybe misery catches more the eye than beauty but you will always want a picture of beauty in your dining room or dormitory...
Lottie Lee Lottie Lee Post 28 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
I have thought about the same question when it comes to drama and novel .people pursuit art and beauty because they want to pursuit eternity in the short life. and we have to admit that tragedy is the reality (a little passive idea). misery attract people's eye easier when it comes to photo.
Anila Jain Anila Jain Post 29 of 29
0 x Thank You
link
Very very lovely and helpful post! I guess misery attracts more than beauty as people dont get to see the misery from so closely always and that things create curiosity among people!
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the