questions on flash sync: first vs second curtain

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
MWPhoto MWPhoto   Post 1 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Can anyone give me a brief summary about the pro's and con's of synchronizing the flash to the first shutter curtain vs the second shutter curtain.
I have an elementary understanding about the processes and what they do, but I'm not sure that I could choose the best option in advance. What types of pictures benefit from one over the other?
My flash knowledge is pitiful! Thanks for your consideration.
Detlef Klahm Detlef Klahm Post 2 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
if you want ghostly shadow in front of the subject with long expore use front curtain,- if you want natural looking ghost figure behind the subject on a longer exposure use rear sync
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 3 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Have a look here Mark, lots of info on flash

http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html

I myself use 2nd curtain flash most of the time, is generally gives a nice mix of natural light and flash, and makes it easier to get rid of those nasty shadows.

Sometimes when working outside without the risk of shadows i will use the i-TTL mode on the 1st curtain ie the "normal" sync.

Hope this helps !
MWPhoto MWPhoto   Post 4 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks, guys. This is helpful.
If anyone has examples you can point me to, I will appreciate it!
Dmitri markine Dmitri markine Post 5 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Up to 320 on Canon digital. Usually 250,before you start seeing a curtain.. I usually shoot at 200. With Nikons you can go up to 500/sec(not sure if with all cameras).. I wish Canon would do this with their cameras too.
Brainstorm Brainstorm Post 6 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
It's quite easy to understand, how 2-nd curtain sync works with moving subject, but what is the difference with static scenes?
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 7 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
The main difference is that when using this 2nd curtain sync, the natural light which is available will have more influence.
So you wont kill all present light
Stergios Stergios Post 8 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Interesting subject,
But how can you select the mode in a usual DSLR?
I have a Canon EOS 300D.
Till now I didn't know that such a function excisted!
Or an extra flash is necessary?
Brainstorm Brainstorm Post 9 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
It seems, EOS 300d doesn't support this feature. Canon added it only to EOS 350d...

I met another trouble(may be not) in my EOS 350D + Sigma EF-500 DG Super. When I try to set up second curtain sync mode in camera user funcs and in Sigma flash menu, I can see TWO flashes: firstly after shutter opening and secondly before second curtain closing... Is it OK?
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the