Make a photo look scratched and dusty?

<12>
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Jimmy Brown Jimmy Brown Post 1 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Hi all,I am trying to create a photo that looks old and has visible scratches and dust.Is there any simple filter in Photoshop that can do this? I have searched but cannot find any info on the net. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated - jimmy
Jimmy Brown Jimmy Brown Post 2 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I guess I answered my own question! After searching many days I found this site. Hope others find it interesting. Instructions for making photos look scratched and dusty are near the very end of this article. Enjoy - jimmy

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-m ... 00AKBS&tag
John Sampson John Sampson Post 3 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Find an old neg. Why bugger around with a decent new one!
Jack Thrailkill Jack Thrailkill Post 4 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
hi, new here
Jon L Miller Jon L Miller Post 5 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
The effect is also called grunge and it can be quite nice. What I tend to do is photograph closeup of stressed brick, peeling paint, etc and then add these to my images in various layers.
ex: http://www.jlorenzo.com.au/?page_id=31

To do the dusty and old film effect there are heaps of images out there for this.
simon valentine simon valentine Post 6 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I know nowadays people tend to use Photoshop but it is important to remember that you can combine editing software to get different effects. For instance you can use a free piece of software called Photoscape that has about 10 set effects for grunge looks and distressed images! Once you've done this you can pop it back in to Photoshop and play around with the curves to really make the image authentic.
sheilamotown sheilamotown Post 7 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
For example, they will be knowledgeable enough to heal minor bruises or cuts on an animal. [url=http://technicianschool.net/veterinary-technician-schools-in-arkansas/]Veterinary Technician Schools in AR[/url]
Duschan Tomic Duschan Tomic   Post 8 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Hi,
one of the simplest, fastest and most efficient softwares I know of is "SNAPSEED" by Nik Software. It is cheap to buy, but can give you some very nice results. Other producers of plug-in software are OnOne and AlienSkin, but they are considerably more expensive, even though they are perhaps a bit more sophisticated. Cheers, Duschan
Deleted user Deleted user Post 9 of 17
1 x Thank You
link
Jimmy,

you have several software based solutions for that purpose, however I would strongly advice not to use such.
a computer program, no matter which one, will create an artificial effect which will be visible as such.
there is a much better way to get the effect you would like...

for such you have to work in layers, most graphical programs support such feature.
the bottom layer will contain your photograph,
on top you put a layer where you show a self made authentic picture which has to give that effect,
but you have to make that top layer for 80 to 95% transparant (depending on the bottom photoghraph).
the picture that you use for that effect in the top layer can be of a wide variety of subjects...
for instance: an old wall, an old piece of paper or cardboard, or many other things.

I promise you if you practise this, you will get much better results than any software can do, your picture will look authentic and the whole image will be artisticly made, so not only better but also more personal.

try it, you'll love it.
(I am just new here, no photos uploaded yet, but they come soon).
LinoDesign LinoDesign Post 10 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I think people often waste a lot of time trying to find PhotoShop filters for such things. Anlalog effects and a flat bed scanner is often an unbeatable combination and often also the fastest solution.
ankefyamj ankefyamj Post 11 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I think people often waste a lot of time trying to find PhotoShop filters for such things. Anlalog effects and a flat bed scanner is often an unbeatable combination and often also the fastest solution.
Sonja Grünbauer Sonja Grünbauer   Post 12 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
there is another lot called TOPAZLAB.com
Works well with Photoshop or Lightroom. Comes from America. I use many, its fun. But the scratch system you could do your own via photoshop. greets Sonja
Eniot Eniot Post 13 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
Quote: Jimmy Brown 17.02.07, 03:49To the cited postHi all,I am trying to create a photo that looks old and has visible scratches and dust.Is there any simple filter in Photoshop that can do this? I have searched but cannot find any info on the net. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated - jimmy
Get NIK software from internet and you get everything you need. NIK software is free and PC and MAC compatible . Really this for me the program I go to. You can instal it in photoshop and Lightroom.
Hohoho666 Hohoho666 Post 14 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I always use online photo editor https://pictonika.com/en/ for this effect, you should try it, maybe you will find filters and other tools useful for yourself
Jane Cooper Jane Cooper Post 15 of 17
0 x Thank You
link
I would like to restore old photos, and found this article https://damagedphotorestoration.com/blo ... cbook.html
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the