framing around the photographs

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Deleted user Deleted user Post 1 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
hi there all of you.
i am new to this community, and not a real pro. in the beginning I just gathered some of my pictures and planned to upload them. but then i realised, that the majority of the pictures are having some kind of framing, which sauses hem to look "better".

I'd like to ask some of you how you proceed with the framings, as I have seen some very differend techniques and styles:
-simple thin line (black/white/main picture color)
-simple thin border (black/white)
-simple thin border with thin line (imagine all possible combinations)
-superframe with some centimeters

do you just go with your taste, or are there some "basic rules" or "don'ts"? having a b/W pic...when to chose a white frame, when a dark one.

I'd love to hear some comments about this topic from you,
mat

Post Edited (19:28h)
MWPhoto MWPhoto   Post 2 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Hi, Mateus; and welcome!
There are no rules - do whatever you like ...
Here are some of my thoughts:

a frame cannot make a bad photo into a good one, but a bad frame can certainly detract from a good photo!

most people try to match the frame color (if any) with some color in the photo, but that's just a convention

the frame, if you decide to use one, becomes a part of the image, so give it some thought; also recognize that the frame will use some of the 150 (or 300) KB that you are allowed for each upload

also, the frame may be a convenient place to place any copyright or identifying graphic text if you use that stuff

best wishes, we look forward to your images, framed or not!
Robert van der Sanden Robert van der Sanden Post 3 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Mateus,

framing is personal, use it if you like but don't let it distract from the photo. My thoughts to framing:

My feeling is that a narrow white frame increases the perceived contrast of the photograph and therefor makes it look a little more punchy. I have some photo's with a black frame where I didn't want that effect.
Too much white has the opposite effect because the extra light overexposes your eyes and cause them to "stop down".

In some of my pics I used a very light color in the frame to reduce that contrast effect. Although it doesn't show at first sight that the frame is off-white, if it had been pure white, it would have distracted for sure.

Give it a try in PS before you save for uploading but don't forget to fill the rest of your desktop's background with dark gray or black to experience the effect.

The dark gray background of the fc website (value #222222) is a good match and very pleasing to most photographs, so even without a frame your pics will look good.

Robert
Ryan Manthey Ryan Manthey Post 4 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
but HOW do you frame in photoshop cs
Deleted user Deleted user Post 5 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
well...i do it in a lazy way :)
import your picture, change the background colour according to the frame color you want and then look for the "workspace size" option (somewhere in the Edit menue i think). I change the size of the work space to be some pixel bigger than the picture and ready!

sorry for the unprecise explanation, bu i use PS CS German...so it will be different in yours.

good luck!
mat
Ajax Ajaxov Ajax Ajaxov Post 6 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Well you can use also the Crop function.

Just prepare the background color to be your desired framing color.

Make the crop around the picture borders, and then expand the crop selection over the additional space around the picture.

Then hit enter and your are done :)

Best!
Deleted user Deleted user Post 7 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
A thin line around is created by Select > All > Edit > Stroke > and then play around with the settings .... A wide frame using the crop tool in Edit .. drag a selection around the whole picture then drag one corner out whilst holding down the 'Alt' key and just try a few variations till you get what you like. I find that the less variation in frames on a series of images shown together will make the presentation look alittle more professional. I can also say that I can count on one hand the number of brightly coloured frames I have ever seen that looked good .. but that is just my taste and the correct way is simply to do what YOU like. Regards, Paul.

Post Edited (23:58h)
Marco Jimenez Marco Jimenez Post 8 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Paul Grimshaw, thank you for the help, easy little tutorial on simple framing.
sanya s. sanya s. Post 9 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
i dont use frame that often
motorhand motorhand Post 10 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Robert van der Sanden wrote:
Quote:The dark gray background of the fc website (value #222222) is a
good match and very pleasing to most photographs, so even
without a frame your pics will look good.

That's right, against a dark background the picture seems to lighten more.

A few pictures look much better when the view comes from a white background. And here it makes sense to give it a light frame against the dark fc background. So the eyes do not have to "jump" so much.

Best wishes !
Matthias

Post Edited (20:06)
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the