Creating an image that de-picts dominance...

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Nicola Fernandes Nicola Fernandes Post 1 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
A project I have to do soon is about de-picting dominance in an individual, how do you the foto community recommend the solution to this creative problem?

I need as much help as I can get as it is a BIG topic area!
And I would really appreciate it if the community would help me.
Many Thanks

Nicola x
Martin Unger Martin Unger Post 2 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Nicola!
Can you explain this a little more? I'm not a native speaker and I'm wondering what you mean with "de-picting"?
Vladimir Danilov Vladimir Danilov Post 3 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Yeah, please explain...
Nicola Fernandes Nicola Fernandes Post 4 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Thankyou for your reply.
De-pict - AS in making people have a sense of power within an image.

Helmut Newton in his images has women appear powerful with extreme low angles angles to give the women added drama.

This can also be done with lighting to give texture to an image.

DEFINITION FROM THE DICTIONARY-
DEPICT - show in, or as in, a picture; "This scene depicts country life"; "the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"

I would like to know the techinques involved in creating a dominant figure in a photograph.

Sorry for the confusion over my choice of words, is this worded a bit better?

Thankyou again for your replies.
Harvey Thomas Harvey Thomas Post 5 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
I prefer the idea of an image of one person commanding another. For a simple example, a police officer giving someone a ticket.
On a more abstract level, the idea of a large skyscraper or a city depicting human struggle to dominate nature.
Elvis Thompson Elvis Thompson Post 6 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
I think nuts and bolts of it, is the photo showing someone who puts forth a message that they are in charge of themselves
if you look at http://www.pbase.com/southcresent/image/37086107 (warning mild fetish, maybe not safe for work) you can see Christina puts out a vibe that she is powerful, at least to me she does. Knowing her in life outside of shoots, I can verify she walks and talks with positivness that she is the master of her ship.
Elaine Liebenbaum Elaine Liebenbaum Post 7 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
[fc-foto:1890489]

these guys sure dont seem like they could hurt a fly.
depict dominance to me is like taking a picture from above. So that the object or person seems smaller than it is.

[fc-foto:1031158]

here's an example
Sjoerd van den berg Sjoerd van den berg Post 8 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
the air of dominance must first come from the the subject as you only reflect with photography the persona at that instance in time....u as the photographer must ensure the subject is secure and confident in the setting..then and only then can the tricks of the trade as it were be truely successful....set the subject up as the focal point and the tower in the photograph and the subject will [portray dominance.........good luck and most of all have fun...:))
Nicola Fernandes Nicola Fernandes Post 9 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Thankyou very much that is just what I will do!
So it is all about the characteristics of the subject of which you can reflect using photography using viewpoints, angles and composing. Centralising the subject at a low viewpoint can give added effect.
It is more about the person rather than the techniques involved. If you have the right personality and mood you can go on further to create.

Thank you again for all your comments you have really helped me in my studies!
Jordan Shepler Jordan Shepler Post 10 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
You earlier mentioned low vantage points, and this is a great way... Lighting aswell, and realy wide angles help. Keep backgrounds simple too.
Nicola Fernandes Nicola Fernandes Post 11 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks!
x
lilycan lilycan Post 12 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
in order to help you get the best quality image, here i recommend you the image software that not only can create the effects you want and enalbes you to process and edit image. hope it is being helpful.
http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/asp-ne ... tallation/
http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/asp-ne ... rocessing/
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the