Best Quality Image for Uploading

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Pat McMullen Pat McMullen Post 1 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Does anyone know the best way to obtain highest quality in an image when uploading to the internet?..such as best way to sharpen, getting maximum amount of kb??
Dave Donaldson Dave Donaldson Post 2 of 13
1 x Thank You
link
http://www.fotocommunity.com/info/Optim ... _photoshop

This helped me out,if you have PS that is !!
MWPhoto MWPhoto   Post 3 of 13
1 x Thank You
link
Dave is right. The "best method" depends entirely on the software that you use for editing.
Here are some general tips:
1) do all of the major editing (color, crop, luminosity, etc.) on the large image (out of the camera) first. Save your changes as .tif files (not .jpg) to preserve quality.
2) resize the image to get it under 1000 pixels on a side. If possible, try to shrink the image by whole number factors. For example, it would be better to change a 3600 x 3600 image to 900 x 900 - rather than arbitrarily going to 1000 x 1000. That makes less "guess work" for the software in combining pixels.
3) examine your new, smaller image with some program that uses the same 8-bit RGB format that the internet browser will use. An image may look great with your 16-bit editing program, but not on the 8-bit internet display! The microsoft photo editor that comes with windows will work for this step, as will internet explorer.
4) if you need to apply sharpening or noise reduction, go ahead, but realize that the effect will be MUCH MORE PRONOUNCED on the small size image than on the large images from the camera. Be conservative.
5) now compress the image by saving as .jpg with a file size under 150KB (for F.C. - or under 300KB for the double upload). Your software may have options to optimize this step automatically. (Web sites other than F.C. may have different requirements about pixel size and file size.)
6) check the .jpg image again with the 8-bit program to be sure it is acceptable before you upload it.

Seems like a lot of work, but you must realize that the internet .jpg image is EXTREMELY compressed compared to the original made by your camera. So it takes some effort to get a good final result.
Pat McMullen Pat McMullen Post 4 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Got it..thanks for all the tips. I've redone all of my hundred or so photographs the past day..resizing every one of them like you said. I think they all look pretty good now.
aw masry aw masry Post 5 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Clearly tips from Mark Weaver.
I added if you in PS,..... after Mark's process,
please take a simple way to "Save for Web" (in toolbar -- menu). There you can choose an image quality that you need.
Thanks
Maria Mylona Maria Mylona Post 6 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
That is all very interesting.
Thanks guys for the tips.
Maria
Deleted user Deleted user Post 7 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Good news: Now may the FC-Image be a 400Kb one!!!

Great!

:-)
raul lovera raul lovera Post 8 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Photoshop cs-3.......
Deleted user Deleted user Post 9 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
And make the image so big that the ugly toolbar go down from the first view..;-)))))
laurenm210 laurenm210 Post 10 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
generall ,I shall resize the image to the largest size requested by the site you want to upload to ,and save it as .jpg .it maintains a high quality with a small scale compared with other formats. if you want to know more about image format choosing ,you can have a look at
http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/csharp ... e-formats/
and here provides some tutorail about image loading that might be useful
http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/csharp ... -graphics/

regards.
Anila Jain Anila Jain Post 11 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
I know the above tips are good enough, just for a comment i am saying that just use PS and save the image for web.
Angela Morgan Angela Morgan Post 12 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Quote: Pat McMullen 14.01.07, 17:37To the cited postDoes anyone know the best way to obtain highest quality in an image when uploading to the internet?..such as best way to sharpen, getting maximum amount of kb??

Pat, if your images are looking good and high resolution in your computer and you will also see them in high resolution on the internet....but yes some websites does not allow high resolution image but there are so many websites where you can see high resolution images like flickr, pinterest, etc
ankefyamj ankefyamj Post 13 of 13
0 x Thank You
link
Pat, if your images are looking good and high resolution in your computer and you will also see them in high resolution on the internet....but yes some websites does not allow high resolution image but there are so many websites where you can see high resolution images like flickr, pinterest, etc
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the