Scanning Slides & Film

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Patrick B. Parenteau Patrick B. Parenteau Post 1 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
I would be curious to learn how people scan their analog images to digital files. Are you outsourceing or are you doing your own work. Any equipment suggestions and post production tips would be appreciated.

Patrick

Post Edited (21:39h)
Jack Brooks Jack Brooks Post 2 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
hi possem here,
try this,
take that terrible fake black and white film,the one they process in c42chemicals,then have your negs processed have them scanned to disc bring them home put on computer,...do not be put off by color..
put on any photoshop programme or same type and hit contrast and look at result,think you will be happy....one way to scan.
Marc Goedecke Marc Goedecke Post 3 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
I'm using a filmscanner (Reflecta ProScan 4000) for the negatives and dias. Results are better than giving them away ... except you give them to a professional ;-)
Karl Harrison Karl Harrison Post 4 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
I own a Minolta Elite 5400 film scanner and I am totaly satisfied. The scanner itself can scan up to 43megapixels!The actual resolutions will, however, depend on what type film you use and it's sensitivity.
I've publicly diplayed a couple of my shots at 42 to 45 inches @150dpi with very good results.

If you are serious about taking photos with your 35mm camera & digitising them then you should dish out the 800$+, you definately will be pleased.
Robert van der Sanden Robert van der Sanden Post 5 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Last week I've tried one of those consumer flatbed scanners that also have a film negative and slide section. I guess it was Epson 2400. The results were pretty disappointing. The sharpness was OK but the colors vary widely from negative to negative. Either way too cyan, or way too magenta. Automatic color correction is better left off, it makes it even worse.
To get reasonable results each scan requires a lot of manual color correction if you can get it right at all.

I also had negatives scanned at a professional processing lab. Cost me EUR12 per film but the results are awesome.
Patrick B. Parenteau Patrick B. Parenteau Post 6 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Here is a recommendation from Sergio on how he gets those awesome scans from Velvia.

[fc-foto:4888734]

"I turn my slides in digital files by myself with the scanner Epson Perfection 4990 Photo. With less than 300 Euros it gives scannings of the same quality of 5000 Euros scanners.
I take the scannings always at least at 4000 dpi.
Later I use some PS plugins to improve the sharpness (KPT Equalizer) and to remove the noise (Neat Image).
Have a great weekend."
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 7 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Hi,

I have never tested an outsourcing, I have started with a flatbedscanner with a film/slide section (HP ScanJet 5400C) and I agree with Robert: The quality is not ok. Now I use a filmscanner (Reflecta Crystalscan 3600, about 250€).
If you want to scan your films regulary I would propose to spend some money for a filmscanner.
greetings, Olli
Deleted user Deleted user Post 8 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
I scan my negativ material with "Konica Minolta DIMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II". For color, slid and b/w films.

I'm more and less satisfied with the result.

For Example, all the pictures on my page have been scan by this scanner.

But, there one importand experience I made with my equipment: that scanns from Kodak films are much better in color balance. I don't know why - perhaps it's my fold.

Regards Detlef
Robert van der Sanden Robert van der Sanden Post 9 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
That's funny, Detlef. I noticed quite a difference in results between Kodak Gold 200 and Kodak Portra 160. With both films the results were not good but the results with the Portra film were more consistent. There was a lot more variation in color shift between different negatives with the Gold film.

I looked at your pictures. The colors look much better than what I got from the Epson 2400 scanner. Most scans were still useless after half an hour of painstaking color correction (per picture).

Almost all of my pictures are scans from printed photo's (with HP3200, old parport beast). Only the most recent 2 (Up and Autumn glow) are negative scans from a professional lab. Those 2 pictures are uploaded straight from the CD, with only resizing, no further adjustments.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 10 of 10
0 x Thank You
link
Robert it's quit interessting your experience. The only bad results I get are allways from Fuji films.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the