Scanning negatives

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Viviane Barnier V. Viviane Barnier V. Post 1 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Is it possible to do it and what is the best method?. Than you for any ideas/help.
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 2 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Yes it is.
The best method is always a mix of quality and price.....

Scanning
The cheapest way are flatbed scanner with transparency units (f.e. Epson V-series "photo"), but the quality is not the best.
Much better are slide-/film scanner, the range in price and qulity goes from 300€ to some thousands..... (f.e. Nikon Coolscan series).

Photography
Maybe not really good for negatives, but for slides: An adapter for slides for a DSLR - an old technique from analog times. I have never tested it...

Scan service
Just check your local lab, often you can order a CD with scans when you develop a film.
Some companies offer a pure scan service for "old" slides and negatives.
Viviane Barnier V. Viviane Barnier V. Post 3 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Inmeasurable thanks. Lots of knowledge packed in a few lines. Thanks again.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 4 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
I use an Epson 4490 flatbed scanner for scanning negatives and slides into Photoshop, and the quality is every bit as good as that fron a Nikon CoolScan!

Kindest regards,
John.
Fernand Dollenz Fernand Dollenz Post 5 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks for your info John. I'll try it.

Regards,

Puma
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 6 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
i have the epson V500. great! my mamiya scans are also scanned with that - not on the highest res, than a file would be way too large!
John Sampson John Sampson Post 7 of 7
0 x Thank You
link
Vivienne, the most basic way to copy a slide is to use a piece of smoked or frosted glass, fixing the slide to it, let natural light through, and copy with your digital camera, if it can focus that close. Even if it does not, you can crop away what you don't need. If you always do this in the same place, maybe your bedroom window, you end up with exposure data that you can use all the time.
An alternative to frosted glass is thin architectural drawing sheets. You need to cut out any glare from clear glass.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the