info on scanning slides at home?

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Albert Jinks Albert Jinks Post 1 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Hey, every one. I have a slide scanner, and I was wandering if there are any special tricks tips ect? I have the canoScan FS4000 us..? I am not sure to scan at 4000dpi, or 2000... and how can I scan to raw formate, if I can? And can you edit a photo if you scan it at higher then 8 bit? Please ant info will help!
Marco Senft Marco Senft Post 2 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Albert Jinks wrote:

Quote:FS4000 us..? I am not sure to scan at 4000dpi, or 2000...

Always scan at the highest possible resolution and resize in your imaging software.

Quote:and
how can I scan to raw formate, if I can?

Don't know the Canon scanners or software, but scanning in raw format has no benefits. Saving the scan as TIFF works just fine.

Quote:And can you edit a
photo if you scan it at higher then 8 bit?

Yes, you can, although there are some limitations. Quite a number of programs do not provide their full functionality with 16bit files. For best results, scan at full resolution and full color depth (i.e. 4000dpi, 16bit), do color and contrast adjustments in 16bit mode, then convert to 8bit and do the rest.

Bye,
marco
Albert Jinks Albert Jinks Post 3 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks realy helpful, got the hookup on a realy nice scanner, and I could figureout if I was using it to its potental? Why have a scanner that scans 4000dpi, if I am scanning at less then? Do you know any thing for monocrome-b/w negs...scanning them and having them turn out how you want them tends to be a problem..? I guess photo shop..?
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 4 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
I can only agree with Marco's answers. The is only one point: Sanning to RAW makes sense if you have a "difficult" photo: You only have to scan one time, then you scan the RAW in different ways. You saves time....
For b/w: I never use the b/w functions of Scan-SW of photo-edit-sw. I always work with RGB and convert to b/w by channel mixer, color layer or something. Doing it this way I have more steps of reflectivity.
rgds, Oliver
Bora ömerogullari Bora ömerogullari Post 5 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
it's not the dpi that matters if you are not going to print the slide

so if you are just going to scan it for the web than a resolution of 300 dpi will be enough even 150 or 72 would do it

it's the document size that matters you can scan a slide 30x40 cm at 300 dpi without any loss of quality

i use an epson 4490 of a friend and you get the best results if you scan them in tiff format and we use 48 bit color at the color slides (it drops to 8 bit at bw negatives)
E. Learned E. Learned Post 6 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Be Forwarned.
The Canon scanners and, other older scanners may not be compatible with Windows Vista. I loved my Canon 4000 scanner but I couldn't get a patch for the Windows XP. FYI. Vista WILL accept the Minolta Elite 5400.
Lee Wilkins Lee Wilkins Post 7 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Hello Albert,

i also agree with Marco and Oliver. why would you want to scan in a 4000dpi? The only reasons the you would want to do this is if you want to enlarged to a good size with out and noise.

72 dpi for web or over head projector.
300 for a print.

when scan for a print make sure you know what you out put will be. for instance, you could scan in at 300 with an out put of 10x8. this will give you a great print of 10x8.

as for B&W, scan in as color and turn to gray scale in Photoshop. if how ever you dont have this you could always scan in as a B&W.

hope this helps, or comfirms what you all ready know.

Thanks

Lee
BillyC BillyC Post 8 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Try using VueScan rather than the Canon driver ... http://hamrick.com/
Deleted user Deleted user Post 9 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Like Bora, I use an Epson 4490 for scanning slides, negatives, and prints. It works well with XP, Vista, Linux, and Mac; and scans documents as well. I'd be lost without it!

Kindest regards,
John.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the