Canonet QL19 - help, tips&tricks

<12>
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 1 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
Hi photography lovers,

I just got myself a Canonet QL19 - because i really really really want to shoot analogue and found myself the camera today, and i also got myself 3 rolls of film :
TRI-X 400 film (B&W)
400TXMAX (B&W)

this is a link so you can see the camera :
http://mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/canonet.html

and i wanted to ask the experts here if they can give me any advise on the use and i am also hoping for some advice and tips&tricks on the use of this camera.

I have a photoshoot planned for april the 5th and i want to shoot with this camera. so i still have 1,5 week to practise outdoor
I can use the Imacon at my friends work to scan the images and i can also print them at the photolab.

what i really would like is to have the eyes sharp and the rest of the images smooth or a model poses and i would want her to be sharp and the backgounds soft.

I will shoot outside, on location

Anyone??
Ruud, Rob, Andy?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Dee (new to analogue)
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 2 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Dee,

to be honest: I have never seen the canonet :-(

BUT IT LOOKS GREAT ! I could get jealous .....

Hence, all I can offer are the results of google:
the manual (English)
http://canonet.free.fr/manual/
and some general info about the little sister
http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Canon_C ... QL_17_GIII

The "shutter priority" looks more like as an "estimator" than measurement - maybe an external exposure meter would give more correct results.

Have fun with you new machine!
Olli
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 3 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks Olli!
I have found a website with a manual ::
http://canonet.free.fr/manual/index.html

I'm pretty excited, since i never used an analog camera before, the man who sold me the images it makes are great

When i have scanned the first roll of film i will try to upload to show what it does :)

Thanks for the effort olli!

if anyone has more on this, please write about it
Daren Borzynski Daren Borzynski Post 4 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Dee

I would run a cheap film through the camera now before you do any photoshoots, just to make sure the shutter & aperature settings are working well. I think Olli's suggestion of using it with a light meter is a good idea.

The viewfinder has parallax correction, but I would maybe consider giving the subject a little more space around the edges to make sure it all fits in.

I like how you asked Ruud & Andy if they can help with a camera from the 60's!! :))))

Cheers
Daren
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 5 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Daren,

i shot my first 36 photo's today and i had the lightmeter LUNASIX PRO with me to meter - it said F8 & 60 so thats what i adjusted the camera to shoot with, also on a tripod (lightweight manfrotto)

I really need to see how the photo's come out because i have been using the yellow outlined frame (when you look through the viewfinder) as my frame.
Tonight i will go to my friends house who has a darkroom there see if i wasted film for the first time :)
What does parallax correction mean?

Thanks,

Cant wait to hear what ruud has to say about it ;)

Greets

Dee
Daren Borzynski Daren Borzynski Post 6 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Dee

When you use a rangefinder type camera you sometimes have problems with the composition of the image in the frame because the viewfinder gives a slightly different view from what the lens does. It doesnt cause too much of a problem when taking photographs at a distance, but the problem increases when the subject is closer.

You shouldnt have too much of a problem because your camera has a correction, the yellow frame in the viewfinder. You will probably find the yellow frame moves when you focus your camera. I just wouldnt have the subject too close to the frame, I'm never too sure how accurate they are.

Cheers
Daren
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 7 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
cool, i will keep that in mind daren!
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 8 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
the first roll of film is processed. they are negatve now.
i can tell that things are pretty sharp :) with a nice natural looking soft blur DOF

i need to have them scanned this saturday, when that is done i will upload something.

I have to set the asa to 200 instead of 400 my friend told me.
Will shoot some more on the streets tomorrow!

:):)

very excited and i didnt screw up on my first film!

HOORAY!
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 9 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
wauw, i love the effects of the grain in these images Andy!
That is what i want, because digital makes everything so sharp

and i am glad that i made the decision to get the canonet, i feel motivated and wanting to try new things - also the excitement i felt in the whole wet processing was awesome, especially when my friend said : youve got images!

)i didnt know if the camera worked, or if the film was transported well)

going out with the cam, tripod & meter again today

what i do find hard is to think in Black & White -
but im glad i found the drive again to go out and shoot.

if you have more examples, please show them..
till soon
:D
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 10 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
HOORAY!
THE FIRST :D

Catching photographers on the street Catching photogra… Dennis Veldman 29.03.08 14
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 11 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
Hehe, maybe not the last! ;-)
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 12 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
probably not :)
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 13 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
got one more!

on the streets of amsterdam on the streets of… Dennis Veldman 29.03.08 13
Kenny Jazz Kenny Jazz Post 14 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
Andy, Canonet QL 17 GIII actually have to come soon to me for only 36 US dollars from neighbour country. Great camera for poor guys.. Dont you think so ?
Dennis Veldman Dennis Veldman Post 15 of 20
0 x Thank You
link
a friend told me the lens is awesome. :D
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the