Sensor Cleaning

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Sean Robertson Sean Robertson Post 1 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
I am trying to find out how safe it is use swabs and speck grabbers on my sensor. Annoying and not removable by a blower. Advice from anyone with experience in using these products would be gratefully received.
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 2 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
Hi Sean,

This has been discussed lengthy sometimes before,

just look here :

http://www.fotocommunity.com/forum/read ... =758&t=758
Sean Robertson Sean Robertson Post 3 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
Many thanks Ruud. Just the sort of advice I needed to read. Going to drop my 20d off at a Canon specified repairer. I do not fancy trying the Dyson hoover on it. Once again, thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction.

Post Edited (21:13h)
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben Post 4 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
You're most welcome Sean ! 8-)
Deleted user Deleted user Post 5 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
Hey Sean - was that dyson remark aimed at me ;0) ... because I HAVE tried to clean dust off my 300d sensor with a dyson and crevice tool :0) I am just not sure whether I have admitted it on here yet ... OH - it didn't work .. it just created a mini vortex inside the body and dislodged a large piece of crud in between the low pass filter and the sensor, which no amount of rubbing would ever dislodge. Thankfully Canon cleaned it under warranty even though I had no proof of purchase anymore and it was on or about the 12 months mark. Thanks Canon - lesson learned :0)

Just for information the filter is supposedly very resistant to scratches - according to a magazine I read today it claims it is as scratch resistant as a good quality watch glass - but do you want to take the chance :0)
Sean Robertson Sean Robertson Post 6 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
Hello Paul,

Yes, my reference to the dyson experiment came from a previous discussion that Ruud pointed me to. Your exploits with the dyson were revealed and made me giggle.

I also read that digital sensors are more robust than manufacturers would care to admit. However, I am not confident enough to attempt the clean up myself. I found a Canon endorsed repairer in Stoke. Shall leave it in his capable hands for £30.

Cheers for responding.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the