Question on Best Lens for Portraits

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Deleted user Deleted user Post 1 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
I am going to get a lens to do portrait type shots but I can only afford one. I'm looking for opinions on a 50mm vs an 85mm.

Both are Canon L lenses at f1.2 and will go on a Canon 5D (therefore has no lens multiplication factor).

Those of you who shoot weddings and portraits what would you advise as the one lens that would be overall the best (and why).
Daniel Moses Daniel Moses Post 2 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Hi,
The best lenses for portraits are 105 mm or so. With this type of lenses you can achive good portraits with a DOF effect suitable for those shots and with almost no distortion. On the other hand, with 50 mm lenses , you get some distortion on closeups. See you!
Deleted user Deleted user Post 3 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks very much Andy and Daniel !
hol ger .de hol ger .de Post 4 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Michael, wheter you'd want a 50 mm or a 85 mm depends on how much space you are going to have between you and your models. In an open space surrounding I'd prefare a longer focal length not because of the distance between camea and model but because of the shallow DOF that is always easier to achieve with longer focal lengths. But make sure it is a fast one in terms of aperture.
Regards,
Holger
Jarle Porsedal Jarle Porsedal Post 5 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Buy the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8, and go for 85mm f1.2, money wise a smart choice. Optically too in my opinion.
fath fath Post 6 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
why don't you try to rent both lenses for an event and see which one you like better with your camera? Then YOU can be the judge... :)
Fernand Dollenz Fernand Dollenz Post 7 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
I'd say the 85mm wins this contest.
Ken Alvin Jenssen Ken Alvin Jenssen Post 8 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
I got 85mm f1,4 and 50mm f1,4. The 85mm is my favorite lens on both my camera Nikon D700 and D300, Full frame and 85mm works wery well, nearing the result i had old days with a Pentax 67 with 105mm in quality. I would go for the 85mm for portrait. Picture shooted with 85mm f1,4 and my new D700

Hilde The photo was voted to the gallery Hilde Ken Alvin Jenssen 05.09.08 104
Hermann Klecker Hermann Klecker   Post 9 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
The 85mm for the 5D. Clearly.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 10 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
70-200 probably the best :)

You cover a lot with a single lens, and it's narrow.
Maria Mylona Maria Mylona Post 11 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
Well from what i've known from personal experience and from what i've read a nice zoom lense is the best for portraits and weddings. with the 70-300mm you can have more in one lense.

But keep us posted which one you got in the end and how you like it.

Cheers,
Maria
Deleted user Deleted user Post 12 of 12
0 x Thank You
link
It's been some months since I first posted this and at the time I bought an 85mm, but at f/1.8. After doing more research I felt the f/1.2's were way too much for what was not a giant step forward (clearly better lenses but not worth the 5 or 6 fold increase in price - I am only an amatuer).

I'm glad I did that because I found that I did not use the 85mm for the wedding. What I did not appreciate at the time is how much flexibility you need during a wedding shoot where most of the shots are spontaneous as opposed to done on sets/staged where you control the key variables. It was my 24-105 lens that saw all the action. My fault, you live and learn......

Having said that the 85mm lens is a very good lens and I can see using it in different settings but to date it is mostly idle (the type of shooting I do is mainly landscapes so it's zooms and telephotos for me).
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the