Nikon 70-300mm Lens

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Larry Abruzzo Larry Abruzzo Post 1 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
Is it me or the lens? Anybody else have this problem? What problem you ask? The sharpness of this lens when zoomed to 300mm. Its, new, never abused, and it sucks at 300mm, I cant get a sharp focus with this lens at all, and I am now very disappointed with Nikon. Years ago I used Nikon back when film was the medium, and loved their equipment, then I got back into photography and went digital, wow what a difference.
I love it but am sad that Nikon no longer makes the quality equipment they once did. Plastic parts, and made in China, sure its on their lower end accessories but they carry the Nikon name. What a shame. So any suggestions?
Thank U
Larry
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben   Post 2 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
I've seen some of your earlier postings regarding Nikon, where you are complaining about Nikon quality.

You should however understand that the equipment you are complaining about is the lower class consumer stuff, such as the 70-300mm. Also i saw some of your writing about the 18-55mm and 55-200mm which are very low budget where you claim they have plastic lens-parts, this is not true, however these are low budget lenses from which you simply can not expect top quality.

Have a look at the 17-55DX/2.8 or the 14-24/2.8 or how about the 24-70/2,8 and the 70-200/2.8 ever tried those??

THEN you are talking top notch stuff, but dont expect too much of al this budget stuff.
Maite Abad Maite Abad Post 3 of 6
1 x Thank You
link
I own a Nikon 70-300mm and I get very sharp shots. I have no complaints about this lens. I also use a Nikon 18-105 and must say I get awesome shots with this one as well. They might be what Ruu calls "low budget" lenses -which range from $400-600CAN but I still get good photos.
vulcan933 vulcan933 Post 4 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
i use nikon 55-300 which is considered low budget lense. so far i am satisfied with its outcome and all my photos uploaded into FC were captured using this lense.it depends on the guy behind the camera to optimize the features of both camera and lense ^^
Dr. Labude Dr. Labude Post 5 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
There are three different 70-300 Nikon lenses end they range from about 100 € to about 520 € (VRII). The difference in quality is huge. The problem with the cheaper and older lenses lays typically not in the optics (they are fine even at the long end at small apertures) but behind the camera. These lenses dont have vibration reduction and weight next to nothing. Considering the crop factor, the 300 is a 450mm lens witout stabilisation and that means you either shoot a open aperture which makes the picture soft and fuzzy. Or you shoot with small aperture which gives you a long shutter time. You can't shoot a long shutter time with 450mm (film-equivalent) without tripod unless you are dead or a rock.

Even the cheaper optics are OK when you accept the restrictions on aperture (4,5 - 5,6). If you want a better optic and all over great mechanical quality start saving and get the professional f2.8 zoom lens.

If you own a DX SLR and need just a decent zoom for every day get the 18-200 VR. VR is more important than optical sharpness. I would, however, alway prefer a nice old prime lens. Modern zooms just produce tecnically fine but boring pictures.
valt3r valt3r Post 6 of 6
0 x Thank You
link
55-200mm sharp, 200-300mm soft
Almost all portraits from http://3foto.ro/portrete/ are made with 55-300mm on D7000.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the