Canon 50D or 7D

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Paman77 Paman77 Post 1 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
Need help to advice me about >> It's good to change from Canon 50D to 7D?
Robert Riley Robert Riley Post 2 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
Not sure about Canon, I shot with Nikon. The only thing is that you have a Full Frame Canon, don'y know if either are full frame. I suspect maybe not.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 3 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
It's all about money! Some will say it's all about features but unless you expect to go into HD videos the feature improvements from a still photo perspective are not huge (but of course there are some).

If money is no object I say go for the upgrade. If money is a factor stick with the 50D, you are not missing much still photo wise.

If someone is starting out from scratch and was toying between 50D and 7D then definitley go with the 7D, again if you can afford it.

By the way neither has a full frame sensor, you have go up to the 5D or 1Ds for that
Sergio Cervantes Sergio Cervantes Post 4 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
I recommend you to read this review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/
Harrison Clark Harrison Clark Post 5 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
I also shoot with a 50D and have been looking with envy at the 7D. However, when I look at the features that I would gain, there is just no reason to upgrade for me. For instance, the 9 point autofocus does just fine for me and in fact I almost always enable only the center focus point. HD video sounds neat but creates huge files that limit how many minutes you can shoot unless you have a 32 or 64 GB CF card.

If you shoot in dirty or wet environments, or make poster size prints then consider the 7D.

Unless you have or can buy L lenses, you won't get much benefit from the 7D in terms of print quality.
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben   Post 6 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
One big difference is the sensor in the 7D which is far better then the 50D, the 50D suffers far more noise !!
Harrison Clark Harrison Clark Post 7 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
Ruud, can you direct me to a review that covers that? I've read that the 7D sensor has less noise, not significantly less. At least not enough to warrant an upgrade unless you do a lot of high ISO shooting. Thanks.
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben   Post 8 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d
Harrison Clark Harrison Clark Post 9 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
Ruud, Thanks for the link. dpreview does an excellent job! This was the review that made me decide to not upgrade from my 50D to a 7D. But, after a closer look, you are quite correct. The noise difference is significant. For those shooting hand held in low light, the improvement above about ISO 2500 is huge. There's less improvement in the ISO 100-2500 region where I usually shoot, but it's still considerable and enough to make me re-think my plan to wait for the Canon 5D Mk III (which I expect will come out later this year). Also, the 5D demands L lenses. The 7D can make good use of L lenses too, but I think isn't held back much by the better EF-S lenses.
wsdjh wsdjh Post 10 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
Thanks for your posting; I really appreciate your ideas. Hope you can keep going.This is a really great website, and I really like your essay. Thanks for your sharing. I like it very much, thanks!!!Thanks for that recommendation; it is really helpful for me to say!

[link deleted by Admin]
Harrison Clark Harrison Clark Post 11 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
wsdjh,

Well, with the help of this thread and particularly Ruud's input, I decided not to get a 7D and instead got a 5D Mark II. The 5D MkII kit price breaks and indications that the 5D Mk III might be a year away helped the decision. In fact I got a $750 Canon printer for $250 as part of the deal (from Adorama).

So, I've now shot 225 photos with the 5D MkII. It's a dream. The interface is much like the 50D and 7D but the large bright viewfinder is great for my 69 year-old eyes. The shutter release button seems to know what I'm thinking. It's far better than the ones on the 30D, 40D and 50D that I've owned. It hardly moves down but locks in the AF and takes the shot with no conscious effort on controlling the finger movement. And, talk about low noise. It may not compete with the best Nikons but I've shot some at ISO 1600 and a few at ISO 3200 and LR or CS5 and probably Canon's software clean up the noise with very little softening of the image. You run the slider up until the noise just disappears than back off slightly and you have very little softening.

I never had a 7D in my hands, but can't say enough about the 5D MkII.
Stefan Bar. ² Stefan Bar. ²   Post 12 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
In case of action photography the 7D is undisputed the more capable cam. High-ISO capability is also extended but not really the big step ahead. There would be the 5D MII the bigger step ahead but a step back in AF capability, compared to 7D.
Nebbius Nebbius Post 13 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
I have Canon 50D,I really like that body,but I have used many times my friends Canon 7D and I would certainly go with it.
Art Hutchins Art Hutchins Post 14 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
7D - Great construction, functionality, handling and Bit depth.
Vladimir Plugnikov Vladimir Plugnikov Post 15 of 15
0 x Thank You
link
In any case 7D is better that 50D - 18 MP is better than 14MP. If you need high speed shooting - up to 8 photos per second (p/s)7D is ideal solution.
If you not need speed shooting 60D or even 550D/600D will be best from "quality/price ratio" - they are cheaper than 7D. All these cameras have same 18MP sensors and Digic IV processor, different is speed p/s.
Best regards
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the