Camera backpack for international travel

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
masashi masashi Post 1 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
I'm planning to visit southeast Asia for at least one month in a couple of months and since I will be working on a particular project I will be bringing more equipment than just my 'travel set'. My shooting style will be a mix of architectural work with longer setups and some street shooting and I am therefore looking for a good camera bag that needs to able to do the following:

- be carry-on sized for plane travel
- hold 2 dslr bodies (5DmkII, 7D)
- hold 4-5 lenses (TS-E17, 70-200/4, 50/1.4, 16-35)
- have a tripod mount that allows access to the gear with the tripod still attached (in most cases side mounted)
- have an excellent support system for long walks in the tropical Asian heat

Things that I would like to see but that aren't deal breakers:

- carry up to a 15" laptop
- easy access to the gear without the need to completely take off the bag
- be a reasonable daypack with storage for things like jackets and other camera-unrelated things
- doesn't stand out too much
- be weather resistant
- not break the bank ($300 or below would be nice)

So far i have looked into the Lowepro Pro Trekker 300/400, Flipside 300/400, Vertex 200/300, Rover Pro 35/45; the ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive; the Gura Gear Bataflea and Kiboko (what's the difference, really?) and some bags by Clik, a brand I haven't heard of before.

If you have experience with any of these bags, know another bag that would fit my requirements and/or have experience with any of the shooting situations I just described I would love to hear your opinion on this. I'm also open to any other ideas of how to travel with my gear and what kinds of luggage to bring besides a camera bag.
Andy-Wood Andy-Wood   Post 2 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Thats quite a bit of kit you will be carrying .. not sure a backpack capable of all that will qualify as hand luggage.
I use a Lowepro Flipside 300 which will carry 1 DSLR with lens attached and 2 maybe 3 other lenses (depends on size of course) a camcorder and all the usual extras. You might get a tablet pc in there but not a lappy. It is OK as hand luggage, not too heavy when full of gear and very comfortable. The great thing about them is that nobody can get in the bag while its on (good for cities) but you can swing it round and open it up while it is still attached to you ... you don't have to take it off or put it down, also it doesn't scream CAMERAS INSIDE !!. The only downside of the one I have is that it does not include a rain cover, but I bought a small daypack cover from a hiking store for little money that works OK. I have several Lowepro bags in different sizes and I like them all.
The 400 would probably be OK for you but check the handluggage size rules first or it'll go in the hold ... not recommended !

Hope that helps a bit ....but like tripods, there is no perfect solution.
All the best
Andy
hania00 hania00 Post 3 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
I have the 400 AW Flipside - and found it too small for my recent trip to Ireland (sea birds Saltee Islands).

I had 7d, 5D2, 100-400 and 70-200 2.8 - (and 25-105 in side pocket) and found it a real struggle to shut the zip.

I also don't find the use of the flipside as easy as I expected - yes, you can swivel it to the front to get the lenses out BUT if there is a lot of kit, its really hard to get your arms out and swivel it to the front (especially if the waist/shoulder straps are fitted tight for comfort).

When you open the zip, the main part of the bag really leans far away from you - again, making it hard to get at the kit.

Then you have to push the bag round so you can get your arms in again - by the time I had finished wriggling and tugging at the bag I was exhausted!

I ended up always putting the bag down to get my gear out.

I saw a Gura Gear Bataflae in action (workshop leader ) and am hoping to get one brought over from the US for me.

Just my personal opinion :)
Ruud van der Lubben Ruud van der Lubben   Post 4 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Personally i am a great fan of ThinkTank bags, All my carry gear is by them, roller, backpack, shoulderbag and harness. Really great stuff !!

http://www.cameranu.nl/en/bags-belts-an ... nk/h543_r9
Clay Stevens Clay Stevens Post 5 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
I noticed that, two camera bodies, lenses, tripod, and laptop. My current one for simialr gear list is Koolertron R6715 (http://www.koolerbuy.com/koolertron-rus ... -4382.html). It is a Chinese product, but still acceptable in both capacity and durability. I have used it for 2 long travels. Nice product and very affordable.
Clay Stevens Clay Stevens Post 6 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Quote: Clay Stevens 10.01.14, 05:51To the cited postI noticed that, two camera bodies, lenses, tripod, and laptop. My current one for simialr gear list is Koolertron R6715 (http://www.koolerbuy.com/koolertron-rus ... -4382.html). It is a Chinese product, but still acceptable in both capacity and durability. I have used it for 2 long travels. Nice product and very affordable.Well, the link is out of work now, go to here: http://www.koolerbuy.com/photography-eq ... 1_393.html
mariah mariah Post 7 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
All you need is a good water proof light weighted bag. Search on Amazon, there are plenty of them. Whatever you buy please buy the one with a very low weight even if it cost more. You will see the benefits.
mariah mariah Post 8 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
Think Tank would be a great choice. You will love the material and it is completely water proof.
Deleted user Deleted user Post 9 of 9
0 x Thank You
link
I suggest you the Everyday Backpack V2 finest gear for your camera safety Administratively edited on 01.03.21, 23:36.
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the