A 2.8 for Canon???

Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
Google Ads Google Ads
Mark Johnston Mark Johnston Post 1 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
Sorry if it has been asked before but I needed a quick response for a friend who is shopping and said I would get it to her today. So here goes...
She has a very nice Canon 5D but knows little about lenses. She's been shooting concerts and needs a faster lens and came to me for advice. Since I know little about whats available on the Canon side I hoped someone here could help.
We're not rich, only college students so price is a big issue!
I found the Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD at $355 and thought this would be perfect. If anyone knows of anything better please let me know asap!

Thanks.
Mark
Oliver Suhr Oliver Suhr Post 2 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
I am not on Canon, hence I can give a theoretical comment only....
Maybe you take a look here, it seems to be a good lense (even if tested on a Nikon)
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses ... /index.htm
In the forum of fc.de you can read a lot of good things about this lense...
What's about the EF 50mm f/1.8? Faster, cheaper and very good quality. Aperture 1,8 would be great on concerts....
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses ... /index.htm

cheers, Olli

p.s.: "We're not rich ... so price is a big issue!" and using a 5D sounds strange.... ;-)
Mark Johnston Mark Johnston Post 3 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
We talked about a fixed lens but I'm usually sceptical recommending a fixed lens to beginners and an event shooter as I think she needs that option of range. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
fath fath Post 4 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
i'm not sure the 2.8 will be fast enough depending on the concert lighting... you can ramp up the iso but that takes away from enlarging the image. (you may lose quality).
the tamron is a good performer i might suggest a monopod with it as it is not image stabilized. i think the 50mm 1.8 is also a great "cheap" solution to her problem and about $155 cheaper than the tamron. canon also has an 85mm 1.8 than has gotten great reviews. good luck:)
fath fath Post 5 of 5
0 x Thank You
link
she might consider selling the 5D and picking up a 40D body and some nice L glass.... the 50 1.2 is fast or even the 17-55mm 2.8 IS... it's not L glass but it takes L quality pics... ;)
Discuss with us! Register and join for free.
join for free.
To the