The Greatest Quotes About Photography

tellus

 

You don‘t make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.
– Ansel Adams

The more pictures you see, the better you are as a photographer.
– Robert Mapplethorpe

Of course, there will always be those who look only at technique, who ask ,how‘, while others of a more curious nature will ask ,why“. Personally, I have always preferred inspiration to information.
– Man Ray

Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.
– Henri Cartier-Bresson

For me, the subjet of the picture is always more important than the picture.
– Diane Arbus

The camera makes you forget you‘re there. It‘s not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much.
– Annie Leibovitz

What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that‘s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.
– Karl Lagerfeld

A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know.
– Peter Gasser

The eye should learn to listen before it looks.
– Robert Frank

Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
– W. Eugene Smith

My job as a portrait photographer is to seduce, amuse and entertain.
– Helmut Newton

It can be a trap of the photographer to think that his or her best pictures were the ones that were hardest to get.
– Timothy Allen

What is your favorite quote about photography?

8 thoughts on “The Greatest Quotes About Photography

Register now or log in to write comments.

  1. I’m thinking of a T-shirt. It’s got a slogan on the front. It says, “My camera is crappier than your camera.” And on the back it says, “But I’m a better Photographer than you are.” And we’ll give them out to everyone who is able to make great image without having to rush out and buy the newest and greatest camera of the moment.
    Kirk Tuck

  2. To me, photography is to capture a moment in time then, to contemplate the timeless image and, to be able to convey this to others. This is truly amazing!

  3. A photograph to me, is to capture a moment in time, then to be able to contemplate the Scene in its timeless results and to be able convey this to others is truly amazing!

  4. Photographing has nothing to do with a camera, the camera is just a box filled with tools. The way you use those tools is 25% of a good photo, but what you see is the other 75%. Looking and for sure seeing what you’re looking at, that’s what matters

  5. They come out of my head!

  6. Ken, I could not agree more with what you wrote about striving to capture an image in-camera, and not losing those preciously acquired skills. As much as I appreciate all that digital can do for us, including immediate confirmation of nailing a tricky exposure – I have continued to shoot film alongside of digital. Speaking for myself, whether or not film is “better” than digital, whether or not film renders a different “texture”… what shooting film does do for me is to keep me connected to all I had to learn about making photographs before cameras were so “smart” they did everything for us.
    Shooting film – even if not to the same volume of shots as digital – makes me a bit more deliberate, especially in terms of motifs I shoot and how I shoot them. 36 frames on a roll of film has a way of keeping one “honest!” Plus, every now and again, it’s good to put off instant gratification in favor of…anticipation!

  7. I strongly believe that photography is a skill, and in some ways it’s a dying skill. We need to get back to basics and not forget that it’s important as photographers to still try to create in camera using skill with lighting and tone and texture, maintain an understanding for light, and sure, use Photoshop as an editing and final touch-up tool. But don’t lose those skills that mean you can literally shoot in any condition, and that you are indeed a professional and a photographer, not just a data capturer and a graphic artist… There has never been a time in history when so many people have had a good quality camera, and yet there has never been a time before in history when there have been so few ‘photographers’….. Tim Wallace

  8. The next picture will alway’s be the better picture